Can-Am Commander Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Long time BRP user but new to the forum and to the SXS world. We have been running BRP sleds and street vehicles for years with great results so we are very familiar with their products. Based on our personal experience, we are naturally gravitating towards Can Am units as we move into this sport. The Commander Max is exactly what we are looking for but due to the shortage of new units available in the market presently, it is difficult to test drive one. Based on our positive experience to date, we ordered one anyway but we are concerned about all the discussions regarding drive line vibration and rattle.

It sounds like the driveline rattle and vibration is primarily an issue with the 4 seater. It appears to stem from a few different places so it may not be the same for all but from what I can gather from the local dealer, it is likely sympathetic vibration of the longer driveshaft on the Max's amplifying engine/ transmission noise. The driveshaft is acting like a speaker If you will.

I asked the flowing question in the general discussion sub forum but thought I might get more feedback from Max owners in this sub forum.

Here's the question: If all the driveline rattle/vibration is coming from the 4 seaters, are there 4 seaters that don't have this issue?

I have a Max XTP on order but I am trying to determine the percentage chance of receiving a non vibrating/ rattling unit.

Appreciate your feedback, especially from Max owners.

BTW, has anyone thought about conducting a poll to see how prevalent this issue is among Max owners?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2022 Commander MAX DPS and it has had the rattle/vibration issue since day one.
I have had it approximately 7 months.

When I discuss with the dealer over the phone they seem to act like they are unaware if the issue.

I have not taken it into the dealer yet(1.5 hr drive) but I plan to shortly, hopefully they will have a fix that actually works.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Had mine since Aug. 2021. noise was there from day 1. Been to the dealer several times. BRP's newest patch is a "cardboard filled" drive shaft. I can tell you, mine is not a driveshaft issue. My machine make the noise even with the shaft removed. BRP has now blown me off, I was told "it's not a Cadillac, its a SxS" with no more support or concern for my machine. Additionally, the new shaft was not phased correctly. I removed the shaft & corrected it myself!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply SuperATV.

It's great to hear that you believe you will have a fix soon. Such a fix on the horizon implies that you guys have narrowed down the cause. Can you share with us what your research has pointed to for the cause of this issue?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,
This is my fix for the drive shaft rattle.

I have a 2022 commander max xt that has had the rattle from day one with 5 miles on it and it started the DEATH RATTLE right between 4200-4800 rpm BRP should have a fix by now for a 24k machine.I like the machine but am very unhappy with this Can Am from the death rattle to the squeaky front sway bar that needs grease every 50-60 miles and the front brakes that squeal all the time.I had a Kawasaki Teryx put 3500 miles on it and had no issues with that. Me being a Turf equipment tech for 30 years I checked out the forum and found out BRP isn't going to fix these machine any time soon.So I said screw it I'll fix it Myself.So this is what I did and it took 90% of the noise away.First thing is you have to drill out all the rivets that hold on the skid pans (WAPITA) after dealing with that BS...I took the drive shaft out sprayed both shafts with rubberized undercoat put two bands of 1/4"stick on camper tape on both drive shafts and then a band of rubber from a bicycle inner tube over the camper tape,took the rear spline( where BRP puts the set srew) drilled and taped it for a grease fitting and took a dremel tool cut a groove all the way around the splines so grease can get to all of them.Then I took the carrier bearing and drilled 4 holes in either side of the rubber part that mounts the bearing and filled it with 3m window weld super fast urethane 08609 let it dry for a few days and put it back together.I ended up installing nutserts in the frame and used stainless button head bolts for the skid pans.All I can say is I'm more than happy with the results 90-95% of the noise is gone.We have put 500 miles on it with no vibration or rattle.:giggle:Now onto the other problems.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sorry to hear that Anylizer! What do you think the problem is if not the drive shaft?
The problem is, BRP, or whomever they contracted to design & build the transmission, doesn't have the gear lash between the input pinion & ring gear set properly. If you search a little harder, you will find guys that have them rattling on a hoist while in "neutral" and revving up the engine. when the engine RPM goes up, the clutches engage and the input shaft of the trans is turning, but the output is not (neutral). In laymen's terms, too much slop between the input ring & pinion. The driveshaft simply becomes the "speaker" for the vibration... that's why most of the "dampening" technics make it seem like the noise is gone.
I have tried to explain this to BRP, but they choose not to listen... in typical fashion, engineers are "all knowing" !!! I even offered to assist in the diagnosis & repair....NOPE !!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts