Can-Am Commander Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright so after tons of reading and understanding how these clutches work and what parts are which, etc I've decided I want to probably make some sort of move on my primary clutch on my 2018 commander 1000R, but have a few questions yet. I may as well start off with the simplest one of them all that way if I hear something good we can avoid the other questions for plan B.

So my commander runs a maverick 1000R primary and secondary clutch setup. What advantage would I have doing a turbo maverick inner and governor over simply getting Ed to do the lockup mod for a little over $200? It seems the lockup mod prevents slipping of the belt by (edit) locking the inner and outer together. Same thing the maverick turbo setup would do. Anyone with experiences and good results with this?

Next is I've seen mention of a primary spring swap. I've found a low engagement spring on Ed's website (uatv). Is this a mod worth doing? Good results? No issues with running it the lockup mod correct? I've also seen dalton kits, but the best i can understand after reading is they're mainly for rigs with larger tires.

As far as secondary goes I've seen where on stock setups (which is what I have or at most go to 28" tires) there's really no point in doing anything. But I have seen mention before of swapping the (edit) secondary spring as well. Any insight on this?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
The lockup mod prevents the two halves of the primary clutch from spinning independently, which can cause belt slippage. It doesn’t increase clamping force or change the performance in any way, it just corrects a flaw that some clutches seem to have. You need to mark both halves of the clutch with a paint marker and check at a later date if they have become misaligned. Most don’t need it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I noticed I screwed up with that explanation right after.

Anyways I was looking into this because of all of the mention of running a qsc and rage primary. I'm guessing this mod won't make a difference like those? I was also going off of the uatv explanation. Does this explanation really only apply to people that for some reason start getting slippage and doesn't apply to all of the movable clutches? Ed's explanation is as follows:

"The mod eliminates all slipping of the belt due to the OEM connection design of the Inner & outer belt sheaves.

This Mod effectively allows the Transmission to put all of the power to the ground rather that allow a good portion to be lost due to clutch inefficiency.

The end result can be felt in the drivers seat and all but eliminates early belt wear, belt damage from slipping and loss of belt life from the excessive heat build up in the CVT when the belt is slipping"

·
Registered
296 Posts
I'v been running the lock up clutch for over 3 years, no problems. After I put it on. My buggy seemed faster out of the hole, Less belt & clutch noise. No belt wear issues. Stock tires, stock secondary, 2" lift. Running Gates C12 belt.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe Troy will pop in with some guidance. Most of what I've read was by him. I guess at this point I just want to know if the lockup mod is worth it. Because on one side it's a "must have" due to the factory setup causing some slippage. And on the other side just what was mentioned was most people don't have that problem. So I'm just at a little confusion/stand still here.

·
Registered
12,914 Posts
Do the marker test on your clutch then you will know if your clutch tapers are starting to slip

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,914 Posts
I never check my secondary bolt as it has locktite and if it’s moved the locktite will need to be redone .

·
Registered
317 Posts
pSecondary can still be checked to see if it clicks off at the right torque or a little lower setting, if it moves needs to be redone anyway. In the last year I've worked on a lot of my friends rigs complaining about clutches and about 75% were bolts to loose. Just something to check along with the other things. Always trust your dealer. NOT lol.

·
Registered
12,914 Posts
The list is endless on units that have not been serviced properly.

Reactions: BHBandit

·
Administrator
27,517 Posts
Right bolt right torque it won’t back off unless something else is going on. 4600 miles on the one use secondary bolt which was removed twice in first 800 miles., primary off 4 times in first 1500 miles . Never did replace secondary but last time the primary was off I did the primary bolt . Never used loctite on either bolt. I don’t recommend doing what I do . But I tend to see what the limits are . Just to see what needs to be done the next time around .

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
Right bolt right torque it won’t back off unless something else is going on. 4600 miles on the one use secondary bolt which was removed twice in first 800 miles., primary off 4 times in first 1500 miles . Never did replace secondary but last time the primary was off I did the primary bolt . Never used loctite on either bolt. I don’t recommend doing what I do . But I tend to see what the limits are . Just to see what needs to be done the next time around .
finding limits or abuse???

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
i know the limits pretty well lol

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
no no no

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.