Can-Am Commander Forum banner
161 - 180 of 206 Posts

·
Administrator
26,673 Posts
Gearbox 1 is one half and 2 is the other half. G1 is the old style g2 is current In all original commanders .

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
In post #154, that 1st pic of 3 gears, it really looks like uneven wear on the teeth, unless it's just a photo illusion. If it is what it looks like, you've probably got as much or more gear noise as bearing noise. There's also this, as you previously mentioned looking at new.

·
Administrator
26,673 Posts
That one Gear had sharp teeth co.pared to all the rest also .

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
That's the one I'm talking about. Something's bent, out of round, off center. It may not be catastrophic, but it sure ain't fuzzy.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 · (Edited)
You guys have good eyes.

Jimmy do you have a friend/relative in Maine or somewhere in the states where you can ship one of the lower priced US ones - and just drive down and pick it up. That’s a big price difference. Even with the exchange rate that’s only around $2600 Canadian $.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 ·
I ran across this:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I ran across this:

So just mulling this over.
If I was able to rebuild, it would be approx $1000.00 for the rebuild kit plus the labor ($500?)
So about 1500 for a rebuilt and maybe the gears are worn as well?
Or $2800.00 for completely new. The old one has over 10k on it, I think I am going to go with new. As much as I can't afford 3k, it seems like the best option.
What is the difference between the low ratio vs standard? I'm not looking to change the performance.

·
Registered
49 Posts
That would seem the better idea.
Ordered. I will be curious to see how long it will take, I chose the cheapest shipping option. Crappy thing is if I have to pay Duty on it. I believe it would cost me 15% of the total which was 2800 so looking at around 400 maybe. Still cheaper than the dealer.

I have started masking off all the ports and wiring as I am going to pull ot outside and pressure was everything (frame, engine etc.) As you wouldn't believe where the mud can hide and collect.
After I get the gearbox, what am I going to do with the actuator? I took it off with the bike in 2wd...

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #172 ·
Jus
Ordered. I will be curious to see how long it will take, I chose the cheapest shipping option. Crappy thing is if I have to pay Duty on it. I believe it would cost me 15% of the total which was 2800 so looking at around 400 maybe. Still cheaper than the dealer.

I have started masking off all the ports and wiring as I am going to pull ot outside and pressure was everything (frame, engine etc.) As you wouldn't believe where the mud can hide and collect.
After I get the gearbox, what am I going to do with the actuator? I took it off with the bike in 2wd...
just put the battery back in for a minute. Then plug the actuator back in, turn the key on and flip the 4wd switch. Then turn the key back off and your good to go. You can move the slide in the gearbox by hand when you install.

and I’m not saying it’s impossible to reinstall with it in 2wd. I was just having a problem so I read that part of the shop manual which said the arm on the actuator needs to be in the 4wd position. So I turned the key on, plugged it in, flipped the switch, turned it back off and it went right in.

·
Registered
49 Posts
You are the Man! Seriously thank You and everyone else for the support and advice. I truly appreciate it! Stay tuned for Part 2 - The Install and see if I can remember how to put it all back together haha

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey Slowin,
I'm a little confused. The box you got from Canampartsguys - did you have to drill it out for the guide on that one stud?
If so, what size drill bit did you end up using and was it pretty straight forward to drill out?

Also, when I took my front diff out I noticed one of the bolt holes had a heli-coil in it FFS

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey Slowin,
I'm a little confused. The box you got from Canampartsguys - did you have to drill it out for the guide on that one stud?
If so, what size drill bit did you end up using and was it pretty straight forward to drill out?

Also, when I took my front diff out I noticed one of the bolt holes had a heli-coil in it FFS
Ps - I just ordered the box late afternoon yesterday and chose the cheapest shipping, it will be here on Monday! I can't believe how quickly it is getting here! Maybe it's because I paid the additional $400 in duty fees to get it across the border lol. Damn government has to have a piece of everything..

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #176 ·
Hey Slowin,

No. The box from canampartsguy is a can-am brp box. Everything fits as it should.

What you're reading about is one of the many things I had to do to the piece of crap mrrpm box. Don't get me started. . . lol

FFS? Does the helicoil seem to be holding? I guess the diff has been removed before and someone stripped a hole.

161 - 180 of 206 Posts