Can-Am Commander Forum banner
181 - 200 of 206 Posts

·
Administrator
26,672 Posts
That's a 2012 model I would put new in . It's rubber they don't last forever. Nothing worse than putting it back together only to take it back apart in 500 miles.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
The motor mounts and gearbox mounts are just slid into their respective holes. So you can just pry the old ones out with a screwdriver if you don’t reuse. They’ve probably glued themselves in from the 10k miles on your machine.

·
Administrator
26,672 Posts
Check with super Dave's bushings . He makes some but don't remember how much .

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
So I got everything back together but some how I misplaced one of the little caps for the springs in the one way clutch bearing so I was unable to test drive it.
Also, my exhaust is smoking where it bolts to the engine, could that just be the rust spray I put on the studs to help free the nuts? I've started it twice now and it's still smoking there. It doesn't smell like exhaust, it smells like burning. No, there is nothing touching the exhaust.
Everything is closed today so I can't get that cap until tomorrow. Dying to get it out to see how it sounds..

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ok so I actually found the spring cup, it was inside the spot it goes in, it just wasn't that visible.
Question: when I went to reinstall the drive clutch, the bolt threaded in a few turns and then felt like it bottomed out. I was able to force it but it was hard. Is that normal?
I took it back off and the threads don't look damaged.
I need a shim or two, the belt is not centered.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #190 ·
I would chase those threads carefully with a tap and use a new bolt. Then clean them real good with alcohol or something.

You should not need a shim. The belt may not look 100% centered.

Have you tested it? What is it doing?

It should behave like this:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yeah I'll have to clean up the threads.
The belt was tight to the inside sheeve of the drive clutch and when I put it in gear the bike creeped ahead. I took it for a quick drive in high and it was like it was in low gear, it reved high but didn't go fast.
I originally thought it might be the shifter cable but when the shifter is in neutral, the bike is in neutral so must be the belt.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #192 ·
It’s hard to say but I’m wondering if the primary is seated all the way. Also are you sure that the cogs on the gearbox countershaft lined up with the slots on the helix and the secondary went on correctly? Before you install the belt, the one way would spin in one direction and lock the other way?

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #193 ·
You “hydrauliced” the primary off? Did you use grease or water? If grease, get it all out?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I noticed in your pic of the new gearbox that it came shipped with a new distance ring on the countershaft. If it's not the correct one, it will put the secondary out of alignment.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It’s hard to say but I’m wondering if the primary is seated all the way. Also are you sure that the cogs on the gearbox countershaft lined up with the slots on the helix and the secondary went on correctly? Before you install the belt, the one way would spin in one direction and lock the other way?
I'm not convinced it was seated all the way. The secondary I know for sure was lined with the cogs on the gearbox. The one way bearing does operate correctly, it was just a fight getting the primary bolt to screw in easily.
Also, is it normal to have to use every ounce of strength you have to compress the springs enough to get the bolts started?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I noticed in your pic of the new gearbox that it came shipped with a new distance ring on the countershaft. If it's not the correct one, it will put the secondary out of alignment.
Hmmmm, not sure which exact part that is and can I swap it with the old one?

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #199 ·
That’s right the turbo Mavericks had a different distance ring. That being said my box came with the regular one. Yes you can reuse ur old one if they’re different. It’s the little ring on the counter shaft. It just slides on and off. Be careful there’s a little oring behind it.

As to strength to start the clutch bolts, I don’t recall it being hard to start the primary bolt. The secondary requires a lot of effort or leverage though.

181 - 200 of 206 Posts