Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently took delivery of a pretty, pearl white, 2014 Commander E. Its LSV designation (Low Speed Vehicle) requires a license tag, vehicle insurance and is street legal for public roads with posted speed limits of 35 mph or less. The "E"'s max speed is 25 mph. You can legally cross high speed multi-lane highways. The SE (Special Edition) model has all the bells and whistles to be road legal. Glass windshield with 2 wipers and spray washer; hard top, head lights and brights, turn signals, center mounted rear view and Left side mirrors, (Right Side Mirror can be purchased as an extra accessory for about $90), brake lights, license plate holder and lamps, loud horn, and 2 black vinyl bucket seats with seat belts. Back of knee skin stick to the seats. I have got cloth seat covers on order. Driver's seat only adjustable forward and aft. Both seats release and can be removed easily. Grab bars and side curtain netting for both driver and passenger. Tilt wheel is a nice feature.

It just hums along powered by its 48 volt induction motor. 8 sealed lead acid batteries are wired for 48 volts (There may be an option for 12 batteries in the future) Easily charged with a standard 3 wire extension cord plugged into standard single phase 120 V.A.C. 60 Hz. Charges a fully depleted battery bank up to full charge in about 8 hours. Not a good idea to run it until the battery is completely discharged. A dead battery will require the dealer to reboot the computer's operating system. Could ruin your day!

Power: 30 hp peak, 11 hp continuous. (8.2 kilowatts)

Can Am specifies the Commander E's range as 12 miles up to 99.4 miles. I understand that the actual range to be expected in warm summer, on hard packed surface and utilizing ECO MODE is about 18 miles. ECO MODE limits max speed to 12 mph as compared to the NORMAL MODE's max speed of 25 mph. I guess that Can Am got up to 99.4 mile range range while going down a steep hill on a desert with a strong tail wind behind them.

My intent is to use it like folks use their golf carts to cruise around my community. I don't play golf and probably never will. No muddin', jumping dunes, rolling it over, or doing wheelies for me. Just a fun ride around the neighborhood.

The Commander E is a real looker. Expect to be asked: "if it's really electric then why does it have a gas cap?" The 3 prong male plug located under the gas cap is used to connect to a standard 3 wire extension cord that powers the build in battery charger. A flashing green light on the dash indicates A.C. power connection and start up of the charger. When the blinking green turns to solid green, typically a few hours later, this indicates that the batteries are fully charged. Don't forget to disconnect the cord before zooming out of your garage.

My Amazon Parrot TYLER loves sitting on the passenger grab bar and sings while he goes riding along. The side safety nets look like another bird cage to him. Driver and passenger seat belts, shoulder guards hard top, glass windshield,wipers and washer, and side netting give occupants a secure feeling.

Caution: If you're planning on getting a Commander E you may have to fight off all the pretty ladies that will want to go for a ride with you. Life's tough.

I hope to learn more about the Commander E as time goes on. So far there have been only a very few E's sold around the country. I will try to share my experiences with you but I'm no expert. Go easy on me, I'm still learning. Thanks, Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
how long does it go before neednig to recharge

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JB
As it says in my post "Charges the depleted battery bank up to full charge in 8 hours". That is a full charge from zero charge left. If you run it all the way down to zero battery, like mistakenly leaving the head lights on over night you'll have to take it to the dealer for re-boot. Not good. Don't let it go dead.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
ok let me ask the question again..how far can you go from fully charged to dead.....i read the other thread and this one that stated it takes 8 hours to charge.i got that .how many miles or whatever cna you go till it needs to be recharged..once a week..every day? your commander only goes about 4 miles an hour more than what you paid for it...ie you paid 20k but it only goes 24 mph

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can Am specifies its range on a full charge from 12 miles to 99.4 miles. I assume it's dependent on how hard you push it. Also the is a switch for ECO MODE. With ECO enabled speed is now 12 mph max where in NORMAL MODE max speed is 25 mph. The 90+ mile range is probably done in ECO MODE under ideal circumstances. I hope that helps.
Bob

·
Registered
9 Posts
99 miles range

I've decided to buy one of these but apparently they're rare. Although several motorsports stores claim to sell them, upon further inquiry, they are actually unable to obtain them. As for the 99 mile range, I could be wrong but I believe that range can only be reached with the lithium ion batteries, not the stock lead acid ones. I'm estimating that upgrade to be about a grand. Does anyone know the dangers of those batteries? I'm creeped out about the gas powered ones catching fire near the steering column. Has anyone heard of that happening with the electric?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rayyn - I have had a Commander E LSV SE about 10 months. In NORMAL power mode (not ECO Mode) I seem to get maybe 30 miles range at best from a full charge, without the lights on, driving without maximum acceleration. My E uses 8 lead acid batteries, not Lithium Ion.
LIon batteries require a "smart charger" for safe charging. I would think that the vehicle would have an appropriate charger built in. But then again even Boeing airliners have had fires with LIon chargers.
I believe the Commander E is very rare to find. When I bought mine there was only one to be had in the state of Florida. Getting local service will be a challenge since the dealers have no experience with the electrical system. Mechanical repairs are very similar to the gas engine models.
I use my LSV as a cool golf cart type vehicle just riding around the local area. I don't expect heavy off road use. It does not have 4-wheel drive.
If you like having something nobody else has the E is a lot of fun, but you'll have to deal with the service issues as they come up. I work with their engineers out of headquarters in Canada fort advice. They are always helpful.
Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you for the reply. I have an appointment For tomorrow to pay for it and order it. How often do they need to be taken in for service? I'm in Palm Springs, CA and am purchasing it an hour away. Being a retirement area and golfing destination, I wonder if any of the golf car dealers would be able to service it.

And yes, I must admit I want something no one else has. :commanderroll: Plus I can probably sneak off-road a little since it's not loud and obnoxious to the nearby residents.

Do you have any idea when Can Am plans to put out another lsv? It seems they didn't in the 2016 lineup.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Also, the dealer told me the 14's and 15's aren't even available to order from Can Am. He can order a 13 though. His rep told him the 14's and 15's are the same as the 13's.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's exciting that you are going to order it tomorrow. I live in a gated community and it's a great vehicle to just cruise around in. Yes - It does work okay off road in moderate conditions. It's seems very rugged.
For service I have a great contact at the factory in Quebec Canada. I can share that with you privately. This engineer can talk your local dealer through the issues. I have never need service on it yet. I did lubricate the electric brake spring release mechanism myself.

I don't know the answer what Can-Am will do in the future. This product was made for up-scale community use for guys like us that have to have something cooler than everybody else has. Much cooler than a doorky golf cart. :) The niche for the E seems to be a limited market. The support may always be sparse. They never even published a service manual for it yet.

my personal email: [email protected] Bob Scher

·
Registered
56 Posts
Bob - I found a 2013 2wd model that was never sold at a dealer for $8000 here in southern cal. Is that a decent deal? I'm really concerned about the mileage it will run between charges since we are in a hilly area.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi rlewis1234
$8000 sounds like a reasonable deal depending on condition. I believe there were 3 models. The upper model was the LSV being Street Legal with all the options and safety features. I paid $18,000 for a new 2014 LSV last year.
They come in 2 battery options: common, AGM (Absorbered Glass Mat) sealed lead acid batteries. total of 8 batteries ( 2 x 4 packs) for 48 volts. Special option for Lithium batteries: 12 batteries (2 x 6 packs) for 48 volts.
AGM are good for 500 complete discharged/charged cycles. Lithium are good for 2000 completely discharged/charged cycles. Partial discharge counts as a fraction towards total number of charges before battery replacement is required.
I believe you can get 30+ miles in Normal Mode and maybe 50+ miles in ECO mode. Just like in a car, the mileage range depends on how hard you drive it.
One word of caution, Can-Am does not offer the Commander E model any more. Dealers don't know much about servicing them. You can get parts and technical service directly from Can Am engineering in Canada for support. If you want something that is unique and that no one else has the E is for you. If you enjoy a trouble free life get a Tonka toy.
My wife and i go riding around the neighborhood daily and we love it. It' runs very quiet.
I'll be glad to answer any other questions that you may have. Bob

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
Wonder if you could mount some solar panels on the roof to help keep it charged?
2 50 watt 24 to 36 volt panels on the roof with a 48volt MPPT charge controller sounds like it would work.
Your battery facts are lacking.
AGM battery's; don't discharge them more than 50% and the cycle life is about 2500 to 3000 cycles or more. You kill AGM batteries when discharging them over 50% before fully recharging them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
MudSter
Regarding solar charger: Vehicle can not be charged when in the ON positions. Charger only operates when entire system is off.
The AGM specs came directly from the product engineer at Can-Am. I spoke directly with him. I just repeated what I was told by them and is published in the product spec. If they were wrong then I stand corrected.
I know that Lithium polymer cannot be discharged below 20% without catastrophic failure but have no experience with AGM. You may be right.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Bob - this one is a brand new basic E model - still sitting in the showroom - it is not the LSV. The dealer told me it would go 40 MPH and so you are right - they know very little about them. How can I tell if these batteries will still take a full charge? Will it show that on the dash instruments?

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The computer system on the LSV model will not let speed go above 25 mph. I don't know about other models. Regarding batteries it's hard to tell how much capacity they can hold without really traveling 20+ miles. If that's not an option try this... Charge the batteries to full charge. The System Information Instrument on the panel can display a number of modes, speed, alerts, and VOLTAGE. A fully charged system should show over 50 volts. Accelerate hard and watch the voltage drop. The further you can travel the lower the voltage will get. If it drops below say, 46 v under acceleration I would question the overall capacity. "Voltage Under Load" is a reasonable indicator of battery health, but not an exact science. Best way is to drive it a while and watch the voltage go down during the ride.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The overall vehicle is QUIET. At least as quiet as an electric golf cart. We bought ours to just ride around our neighborhood complex in the evenings. No off-road muddin'.
The only noise issues I had was the brake pads getting hung up on the disks. The drive shaft (propeller shaft) has a brake on the shaft to act as an electric parking brake actuated with a spring mechanism. It was rumbbling and I had to lubricate the release bearing.
Also, had a loud noise from rear driver side wheel. It turned out that the slide pins guiding the brake caliper were dry and the pads were resonating. A small amount of grease on the pins and no longer makes any noise. You may find a new Commander's disk brakes will squeal and be grabby until the brake pads wear in.
Other that that it's almost STEALTH. Just a mild hum from inside the cab since you are sitting over the motor.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No - the side nets do not have to be in place. However, the Driver's Seat Belt must be fastened or you can't go above 10 mph.
My parrot loves the side nets. He thinks he is in a giant cage and my wife and I are in there with him.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 93 Posts