Can-Am Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am new to the site and figured I would start out by sharing my latest commander project as it progresses. I am building an overhead roll bar mounted speaker pod and stereo system. I originally had a shark motorcycle audio system on the commander and it got sent back and so the build started. I got the design idea from a google image search the brought me to a thread by duckcmmndr, who does an excellent job on all his projects. Thanks for the idea!

I am starting with a $33 piece of plywood from lowes and am trying to complete the project with under $250 in the budget. I also am budget shopping on amazon for audio components that will work and sound good, nothing expensive or fantsy.

I will update and add images and comments as I hit benchmarks that are worth noting and eventually will make a short YouTube video. If you have any questions or comments feel free to post or PM me. Thanks for looking!

Msfirefighter662

My YouTube channel is

http://www.youtube.com/msfirefighter662

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
First picture

All I had to go on was a picture of what I wanted to make so it was left to me to figure out how to make it. I spent a lot is time measuring and figuring out angles and dimensions as I went along.

The structure is built of the deck or top piece and all originates from the head unit housing.

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
All I had to go on was a picture of what I wanted to make so it was left to me to figure out how to make it. I spent a lot is time measuring and figuring out angles and dimensions as I went along.

The structure is built of the deck or top piece and all originates from the head unit housing.
That is a great start. I did a lot of head scratching to come out with what I built. So far so good!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Next step in the progress

So I did a complete rough build without any wiring. Once I was satisfied with how everything fit together and that things fit the way I wanted them, I took it all apart and applied wood glue to all the pieces as I reassembled them in their final places. Before I put the outer covers on, I ran the speaker wires for the four 6.5" speakers, power and control wires for the 4 led light strips & head unit. I also mounted a flexible AM/FM antenna for the head unit. Once all that was in place I glued and screwed the outer covers on. All of that should make the installation of the components mostly plug and play when the deck is complete. More to come soon as I get time.

Thanks for looking

MsFirefighter662

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
Great job so far! I did my wiring that way as well. You are doing great and the end result will show it too.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Nice work!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
More Progress

After I had most of the wiring set up for the electronics the outer covers were put into place. Next up was a lot of sanding and several coats of bond to seal up all the cracks and defects in the wood. Then can primer, more sanding, and the a few coats of spray on bed liner. The black spray on bed liner paint has a great look but it will show the slightest amount of dirt.

Once the build and paint was complete it was pretty quick to install the stereo components, lighting, and switches. I used a 12v battery charger to test everything while in the process of installation. The stereo and 4 led light strips each have their own rocker switch that is mounted on the right side of the center overhead recess. The electrical power runs in the left front of the speaker pod where it will connect to commander at the roll bar. The process for that set will be uploaded soon.

Remember to "Always pay it forward"

MsFirefighter662

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Getting to the end

Running 12v from the battery proved to be a lithe more difficult then I had originally intended. Where the A post connected to the commander I drilled a hole in the back side and one straight into the plastic to gain access to the underside of the driver side dash area. On the top of the roll bar there was already a hole from the manufacturer but the hole did not open into the main down tube of the roll bar, so i had to drill one. Due to the odd angles that the wire must travel because of where the holes are it was a real pain to fish the wire through the tube. While I was running wire I ran an extra one for when I eventually decide to put light bar on the commander.

I connected the power wire to the speaker pod and tucked the extra wire behind the plastic shroud at the top left corner of the roll bar and grounded the pod to the roll bar. The whole thing is secured to the roll bar with 4 self-tapping sheet metal screws

The reinstallation of the BRP roof was also a challenge. The mounting brackets had to be reversed to give the roof a little extra height. The 2 nuts, spacers, brackets on each side are virtually un accessible and took some work to get in place. I ended up zip tying the brackets fully closed and using electrical tape I taped the nuts to the back side of the bracket. This allowed me, with help the ability to reach in from the front or back to guid the bolt into the mounting bracket.

Next update to come once everything is cleaned up and looking like new.

Remember to "Always pay it forward"

MsFirefighter662

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finalization of the stereo project

Be sure to check out the youtube video of the completed project. Please like and share the video with your friends. Also subscribe to my youtube channel for future can am projects and other interesting videos!

My youtube channel is:

msfirefighter662 - YouTube

The project turned out great, I am very pleased with the look and the sound of the stereo system. It is more then loud enough to be heard a fast cursing speed over the CVT, differential noise and wind noise which is almost to loud.

If you have any questions let me know and I will have answers.

Ride safe

Attachments

·
Registered
859 Posts
Looks really good! But whats it way? What was it made out of?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
construction material

Looks really good! But whats it way? What was it made out of?

It is make out of 1/2" plywood form lowes maybe $33. The overall weight is approx. 35-40lbs so it does raise the commanders center of gravity. Just have to keep that in the back of your mind when riding.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Last weekend was the first time out on the trails since the conclusion of some other projects on the commander and the stereo install. It worked great and more then loud enough for most riding conditions. It is hard to overpower the rear diff noise. It is also an attention getter, as people notice it and have questions about it. I could not be more happier about how it turned out!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Came out real nice. My first top was made of fiberglass and plywood as well. It was 3/4" pressure treated and weighed a ton. With head unit and speakers was wright at 89 lbs! So I redid mine recently and made it out of carbon fiber to cut down on all that weight. Keep up the good work bro.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Came out real nice. My first top was made of fiberglass and plywood as well. It was 3/4" pressure treated and weighed a ton. With head unit and speakers was wright at 89 lbs! So I redid mine recently and made it out of carbon fiber to cut down on all that weight. Keep up the good work bro.
I would like to see some pictures of how yours turned out with the carbon fiber, it sounds awesome.

Jbreeze, let me know when you want build yours I will try to get you some measurements.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I'll have to see what I can scratch up. Bought a new phone during the process of building it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
558 Posts
Here's one before I put the bed liner on it. Wood Hood Gas
Already had coated the underside of it in this one. Auto part Gas

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hunting721

That looks really cool, thanks for sharing with us.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts