Can-Am Commander Forum banner

Commander 1000 Limited power consumption

5K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Mleger11 
#1 ·
I just bought a 2016 Commander 1000 Limited and I'm wondering if anyone has a breakdown of what wattage the compones use? I'd like to add some lights.
Thanks for any info
Mike

#2 ·
I have a 2013 1000xt output from magneto is 650 watts head lights use low beam 110 high beam 130 tail lights 16 or(54 brakes) turn signals 10 when in use. So there are some items I don't know consumption of: DPS or dash read out, but just what I have listed is half the output of the unit, yours maybe different I don't know maybe some one else will chime in, have fun! Ron

#3 ·
You basically have about 350 watts that you can use non-stop . You have a engine cooling fan , fuel pump , ECM, injectors all sucking power . If you have a nice big battery you can pull big amps for a short while but then it needs time to top up . The larger your battery bank is , the more you can pull out before being depleted of power . Remember if you draw your battery reserve way down your voltage regulator will get very hot if your traveling slow . The free 27 amps ( ball park ) get used up very fast with accessories . I took 350 watts and divided it by 12.8 volts to get your free power supply . But this is only a ballpark because as the fuel pump gets more hours on it it starts to pull more power to run . The engine cooling fan does the same thing .
I have way more accessories than what my stator can supply power for so I try to control what I use at once and when I'm done riding it gets plugged into a battery maintainer ( trickle charger )
I have been doing it this wY for many years and it works fine . I do run dual battery's in all my units except my maverick because the stock battery was mounted above the hottest part of the exhaust and it was melting . I have being using red top optima' s with very good luck .
Hope this helps you a bit and didn't just waste your time reading it .

Troy

Reactions: DieselDoc
#4 ·
I have the limited with ACS, GPS, Stereo, and so on and I just want to put a 20 inch light bar on top which takes about 144watts. BUT.... I want to hook it up to the high beam switch through a relay. Not sure if the lowbeams, high beam, and light bar will pull too much.

#5 ·
It can handle that easy .
I have a 20" bar , heater and tunes going for hours at a time

#8 ·
Yes as there is lots of room for switches

#11 ·
When I get rich I will get metal floor board inserts . Looks like it would be bush proof

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#14 ·
Soooo.... i got rid of the 20inch bar and put a 42". Lmao. I have that with my compressorfor acs, stereo, gps, 2x 18watt backup lights, scraped the HIDs because they suck! And put in a volt meter. With everything running my machine is at 14Volts at idle. When the compressor kicks in for ACS it drops to 12.8 but only for 10 seconds or so. Golden!!!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.