Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am currently looking at a 2012 Can Am Commander 1000 Limited. It has 4800 miles on it, and the dealer said it was owned be an older fellow, then used as a demo since they took it on trade. This has me thinking it had a fairly easy life, followed by a small percentage of strong abuse, (it was quite muddy on the lot when I saw it). I was wondering if anyone had any input on the typical longevity of these 1000 engines, at 4800 miles, would the motor be getting tired, or with proper maintenance are these things known to run for ever? The machine overall seems to be in pretty good shape, with a recent service. We've negotiated a tentative deal of $10,500 CDN, but I'm going to look at it again on Monday.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Cheers!

-Dickie

·
Registered
771 Posts
I have 3500 miles on my 2015 commander and don't plan on relpacing it for several more thousand miles. I see members on here with 9-10 thousand plus.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Dive it over 35mph and see if it sounds like a jet engine - if so, that's the rear diff - the earlier models have straight cut years - now it might last forever like that or not. Mine has done it since at least 200 miles when I got it (over 800 now). Many people can't stand the noise and replace with an outlander xmr diff or a maverick diff. The noise doesn't really bother me but the maverick diff is quite and much more robust.

FYI it is normal to hear a clunk noise when the cvt engages the gear box when you start from a dead stop.

Steering rack and/or tie rods need to be checked. The a-arm bushings likewise need to be checked. These have probably been replaced at least once in 4800 miles.

If the 12 ltd had the air suspension (and it hasn't been replaced) check that - pricey parts and the airlines are prone to leakage resulting in the expensive air compressor running overtime and wearing out.

The rotax engines are very good though and you often see units for sale with double your mileage.

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Well I'm an older fellow 77 on The 1st of Oct.
Have close to 8,000 miles on a 13"X" runs as strong now as when new.
Oh and it has not had an easy life, LOL
I think Member "Mudyapster" has in excess of 10 K on his, he might tune in as well.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have 7000kms or 4350miles on my 2014 1000... Running strong, but expect alot of rattles and squeaks lol... Ride it lots when the damn thing isn't overheating

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
280 Posts
4600 miles on mine, 2 winters running tracks. Milage will be a little higher. Nothing major has gone wrong. Just maintainence things.

·
Registered
322 Posts
4250 miles on my 14 Commander XT. No major issues. Runs as strong as it did new. Replaced my coolant Y with a billet one. Installed the new designed water pump impeller and housing as I just changed coolant. Oil change, gear box and diffs every 1k miles. Amsoil oils throughout. No complaints here been a great machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
Mine overheated again this past week.... So doing all the mods now... Plus fan override switch...

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

I am currently looking at a 2012 Can Am Commander 1000 Limited. It has 4800 miles on it, and the dealer said it was owned be an older fellow, then used as a demo since they took it on trade. This has me thinking it had a fairly easy life, followed by a small percentage of strong abuse, (it was quite muddy on the lot when I saw it). I was wondering if anyone had any input on the typical longevity of these 1000 engines, at 4800 miles, would the motor be getting tired, or with proper maintenance are these things known to run for ever? The machine overall seems to be in pretty good shape, with a recent service. We've negotiated a tentative deal of $10,500 CDN, but I'm going to look at it again on Monday.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Cheers!

-Dickie
I have 14,500 miles and 1053 hrs on my 2012 commander 1000xt. Still runs great! I’ve changed oil every 100 hrs and adjusted the valve clearance twice.

·
Registered
273 Posts
12 Commander XT with a little under 6000 miles and still as strong as the day I bought it. And the original rear diff. WHAT!! did you say, can't hear you. When it comes time to think about replacing the diff the whole machine is getting replaced, hurry up Can-Am with the 21 commander. I need the storage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts