Can-Am Commander Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Commander 1000 clutch kits will be shipping next week.

more info here:

Dalton Industries, Ltd. - ATV Products CANAM/BRP
Is this better than the EPI kit? It's $30 more...
I'm not sure, we do our own testing,build our own prototypes and make our own kits. ...but really there kit may work very well,I expect it would.

This kit is adjustable and comes with a lot of options and a set up guide...we dont have 6 -7 different kits for all different tire sizes,terrains and elevations,..we have a set up guide with set ups to adjust the kit components to the application,..and to a certain extent to your preference (engagement,etc). You dont have to choose one exact kit/application.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont see how changing a spring and clutch weight will gain you more belt grip?
I can understand you saying that if you are not that familiar with cvt systems. However,for an extreme example, many experienced tuners have taken some big hp drag snowmobile with tall asphalt gearing that would slip the belt badly for 150 feet,and fix it by changing flyweight design,flyweight roller relationship,opposing spring pressure to different flyweight designs,etc.......not to mention that a LOT of this slippage in the utv applications comes from the belt not backshifting to the correct ratio on the pulleys at the correct time.
Think of it like a 10 speed bicycle,..if the drive(chain /gears) is in the wrong ratio it is hard to peddle...on a cvt in the wrong belt ratio it slips the belt. CVT components control the upshift/backshift of the belt.No clutches or kit can help someone who refuses to use low range when they need to ,etc ..but proper calibration for the conditions and tire sizes,etc that you have can definitely help.

This kit uses adjustable flyweight lever arms,very different opposing spring pressure on both clutches,and even has optional engagement rpm.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
buy the stm rage 3 for the commander its indestructible

There is nothing wrong with buying a whole new cvt system for your commander if that is what you have chosen to do,It would probably work well., but that doesn't have anything to do with this clutch kit that is designed to offer better calibration options for those that choose to keep the clutches that came on the machine,..right?

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
But if this clutch kit stops some of the belt slip =less heat = belt last longer and if you drive with some since and use the low and high range when needed the commander belt will last its been proven theres a alot of people with over 1000 miles with no belt issues

·
Registered
320 Posts

more info here:

I live at 4500ft and ride up to 10,000ft Does my stock clutching need adjusting? The power seems underwhelming for 1000cc's.

I noticed at the sand dune that my clutch wasn't back shifting well to wards the tops of the dunes, will you're kit help this?

I also noticed at wot my rpm's are in the low 6k's is this where optimum power is?

Can your kit help me with these issues?

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have 2 drag sleds so lets talk facts! The problem here in this system is more than a set of weights or springs will fix! Guy don't waste your money! Why have 3 different company all make 3 different primary clutch set up for this commander because the stock one is junk no good belt grip! I f you throw allot of weight in the primary to grip the belt than you will suck the belt down in the secondary and slip the belt that way or maybe install a heaver spring and now you lose top end! You talk about drags sled than have a engagement of 5000 rpms or more and yes they are slipping the belt then.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How many grams are the weights in this kit?
37 ish grams when empty,...but, as many experienced clutch tuners know, because they are different curvature and location of mass than what we have had from other models it is probably totally irrelevant. Even some common primary springs engage at VERY different rpms than they would in say a 800 Outlander.

Sometimes springs engage and shift different because the rest of the components are different.There are two primary springs included, one of the primary springs in the kit engages higher than stock, the other one engages lower than stock.The flyweights are different....and when dimensions and distribution changes,it makes the grams not really comparable.For instance, we had lots of existing flyweights that could be set up in that "gram" range but they were not suitable for the application during testing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I have 2 drag sleds so lets talk facts! The problem here in this system is more than a set of weights or springs will fix! Guy don't waste your money! Why have 3 different company all make 3 different primary clutch set up for this commander because the stock one is junk no good belt grip! I f you throw allot of weight in the primary to grip the belt than you will suck the belt down in the secondary and slip the belt that way or maybe install a heaver spring and now you lose top end! You talk about drags sled than have a engagement of 5000 rpms or more and yes they are slipping the belt then.
I do talk facts and have owned many drag sleds, and personally worked on many of the ones which have set records in the industry, but that is not what I'm doing here, and I certainly mean no disrespect.

The point you seem to be missing here is that I'm in NO WAY trying to say anything negative about , or discredit in ANY way you guys that may have purchased complete clutch systems for your Commander. Those are good clutch companies, and in some cases good customers of ours in some other things. ...this is NOT a comparison to them.

This is a kit with tuning components to optimize the clutch calibration for your individual situation...for the clutches that came on this machine. If this kit is a benefeit to customers, it will sell in the marketplace based on customer feedback. We are well aware of the way it works.

When asked to support and sponsor this site and have our own forum, it was supposed to be to " advise Can Am Commander owners of products you offer, and discuss those products with interested parties".

I guess I'm surprised by some of the negativity on a product that has not yet been sold, and maybe to the response to us coming on here to participate. (in fact, I guess we need to look at how much time we should really be spending on forum) we certainly have no intention to come in here and argue about anything. This is a new product and we will try to answer a bit here for now, but probably best to inquire by email to [email protected]

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

more info here:

I live at 4500ft and ride up to 10,000ft Does my stock clutching need adjusting? The power seems underwhelming for 1000cc's.

I noticed at the sand dune that my clutch wasn't back shifting well to wards the tops of the dunes, will you're kit help this?

I also noticed at wot my rpm's are in the low 6k's is this where optimum power is?

It certainly can. You would follow the set up guide for your elevation (above 4000') and most common terrain and your tires, and set the kit up accordingly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Does it get rid of the clunk?

more info here:

The clunk is the secondary clutch rotating through its free play on the helix. The helix in a Commander version is made of steel (covered in plastic) and exhibits a hollow clunk that is more pronounced than the Outlander versions with a solid plastic helix. It is still there any time the rear clutch is there, just that some set ups make it less noticeable. This kit being very adjustable can let you choose preferences, like lower engagement,that help with the clunk a bit.
Primary spring is a principal source of changing "engaging rpm" . If you use the lower engaging primary spring that comes in the kit it helps make it less noticeable,...some others get used to it and never notice it and like the other spring that is a bit higher engaging than stock, Rider preference involved for sure..... but yes, clunk is still there.

·
Registered
320 Posts

more info here:

It certainly can. You would follow the set up guide for your elevation (above 4000') and most common terrain and your tires, and set the kit up accordingly.

Can you elaborate about my three issues?

I appreciate your time on the forum and would prefer to calibrate my clutch with a kit like yours as opposed to a whole new system. Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Can you elaborate about my three issues?

I appreciate your time on the forum and would prefer to calibrate my clutch with a kit like yours as opposed to a whole new system. Thanks.
Without the flyweights we have in this kit and the adjustability,we would need many different kits to cover the different applications that effect clutch calibration.Part of the reason it took so long to complete this kit was based on the amount of testing required to get flexibility.The nice part of this is that you do not need to wonder "if I bought the correct version".If you move to sea level,you adjust the same kit differently.

You have more than one of the things that could be helped by clutch calibration (calibration is more than anything else"changing the rate of upshift and backshift of the belt")

-High elevations. Even on fuel injected vehicles with altitude compensation,you are still at higher elevation and there is less oxygen present...so even if the Air/fuel ratio is corrected to maximize hp output,...there is less hp available...less air means less fuel = less hp.
Any time a hp change...you may want to consider the shift pattern...with less hp do you want to upshift the pulleys as quickly??...if you upshift as quick as you would at sea level,you may find lower rpm and less performance.You state that the machine seems underwhelming for a 1000 and that your rpm is low 6000's...power is better 68-7200 range for sure.
-SAND , Although the word Sand is sometimes a bit speculative because it is not always the same...sand in general is a power robber because of the much harder rolling resistance...shift pattern change could help right?

You didn't mention tires or mods,Other things like larger tire sizes ,etc effect final drive ratio,which require re-calibration to help recover some of the losses from that(losses from large heavy mud tires are huge). There is a full description in more detail in the kit, the set up guide,and the "overview of the model" included in the kit.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Helix. I also appreciate the time you spend on here as I learn more from your expertice. Your product may not be what I am after but then again maybe it is.
Tom

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ive dealt with Dale (helix) on my teryx's, he worked wonders with those clutch setups. Im not familiar with the commander setup, but if Dale says they done extensive testing before he brought this kit to the public, believe me he has and he did it right. Just give him a chance.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I know this is a stupid question, but is it a considerable improvement over stock? The stock clutching sux.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.