Can-Am Commander Forum banner

301 - 320 of 335 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25,679 Posts
Yes gade or outy just use your weights and springs. If your springs are bad get clutch kit for a 800 it has springs and weights .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks Ace, so are renagade and outlander 500 650 800 use the same secondary...and primary...? With the exception of the weights and springs...?

·
Super Moderator
25,679 Posts
That I not sure on. 800 and 1000 are the same . Troy is the quad guru he would probably know the answer to that one .

·
Super Moderator
25,679 Posts
Talked to the guru he said all the same. He said weights are only thing different. So guessing that means they are all using the same springs as well.

·
Registered
12,838 Posts
The gade does have a different ramp angle as compared to the mander but some are using the gade helix as a cheap upgrade . But end of story is you can mix and match to use the parts with the least amount of wear to give your project a new lease on life .

Reactions: acefire

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hello everybody! Can I keep the original primary clutch on my Commander 1000 to work alongside the 2015 maverick turbo secondary clutch? The fact is that after installing the secondary clutch xds, when starting the engine, it does not stop and, accordingly, it became difficult to turn on and off the transmission...

·
Registered
952 Posts
It is my understanding that a dragging one-way bearing in the primary will cause the belt to spin at idle. If it didn't do that before your secondary clutch change, I would think that the alignment or offset of the secondary is causing the belt to contact the spinning sheaves of the open primary at idle. Hopefully Troy will chime in or you might PM him.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thank you for your answer! I put a new repair kit for the overrunning clutch from all bals. As I understand it, there is no alignment between the primary clutch and the secondary one from Maverick xds. After I put the secondary clutch from stm and the problem disappeared. But the fact is that the STM clutch is in a bad state , and Maverick xds is new. I'll keep trying to put it on.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Let me mention that there are two thicknesses of distance rings in the secondary to my understanding. To be sure, compare the part number for the distance ring in the secondary of a regular commander/maverick vs a turbo maverick. If the part numbers differ, order one for a turbo maverick.

I believe that to be the case and will align your turbo secondary with your standard primary.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am running turbo clutches on both my mav non turbo and my commander and have no problems with speed or belt life . I did have to get different springs for the clutches as I'm a bit on the picky side .
Troy,tell me please, if I put the primary and secondary clutch from Maverick turbo, can I leave the engine brake in the primary clutch? No harm to the belt? After all, in the original, the Maverick turbo has no engine brake in the primary.
And I understand correctly that I need to replace the spring in the secondary QSC Turbo with a softer one, so that this mod would work in can-am commander?
I apologize if I write in English with errors!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Let me mention that there are two thicknesses of distance rings in the secondary to my understanding. To be sure, compare the part number for the distance ring in the secondary of a regular commander/maverick vs a turbo maverick. If the part numbers differ, order one for a turbo maverick.

I believe that to be the case and will align your turbo secondary with your standard primary.
Thank you for the hint, I did not immediately guess what was being discussed due to the inaccuracy of the translation, I thought that we were talking about distance rings as in the secondary Stm!) And now, after reading thousands of pages on this forum and the Maverick forum, I realized that it was about the remote bushing, which is located on the gearbox shaft! Thank you again!

·
Registered
12,838 Posts
Troy,tell me please, if I put the primary and secondary clutch from Maverick turbo, can I leave the engine brake in the primary clutch? No harm to the belt? After all, in the original, the Maverick turbo has no engine brake in the primary.
And I understand correctly that I need to replace the spring in the secondary QSC Turbo with a softer one, so that this mod would work in can-am commander?
I apologize if I write in English with errors!
I added the little springs and cups to have the low rpm engine braking . The turbo secondary don’t squeeze the belt as tight at idle speeds so it more easy to squeal the belt on steep grades at walking speeds

·
Registered
39 Posts
I added the little springs and cups to have the low rpm engine braking . The turbo secondary don’t squeeze the belt as tight at idle speeds so it more easy to squeal the belt on steep grades at walking speeds

you wrote that you need to modify the secondary turbo clutch in order to leave the brake on the primary.Or you can still put the primary and secondary clutch Maverick turbo and just add springs and tendrils for braking and problems with the belt when going down a steep hill will not be?

·
Registered
952 Posts
Unshaven-
He is saying that adding the springs and cups to the primary will give you low speed engine braking. If you are using the turbo secondary, it doesn't squeeze the belt as tight, therefore if going down a steep incline at low speed, the belt may slip and squeal some in the secondary as the primary is slowing the belt. It is my understanding that higher speed engine braking is provided by the secondary. Therefore, if you want engine braking across the range, you would need to put the springs and cups in your turbo primary, and probably use a non-turbo secondary.

·
Registered
12,838 Posts
The turbo secondary does fine at hi speed braking . It’s just not as good at walking speed as the belt can slip in the secondary pulley faces . The secondary just don’t squeeze the belt as tight at a crawl speed . I have the springs and cups added but I have squealed the belt crawling down into a creek . I should just get the secondary machined to close 15 thou more and problem solved

Reactions: unshaven
301 - 320 of 335 Posts