Can-Am Commander Forum banner

281 - 300 of 335 Posts

·
Registered
12,838 Posts
I did some looking and found a extra weight that I made for my commander .

We do lots of custom weights on our mountain sleds
Top one is the modded weight
Bottom is stock

When I ground my weight I was making them closer to the shape of the after market ones . The little bump on the end of them is farther from the pivot bolt . I copied a arctic cat weight profile

·
Registered
12,838 Posts
My commander has weights with the bump knocked off so I could get full shift

·
Registered
12,838 Posts
With the modded weights my clutch will close till the pulley faces hit each other . Just like a 100% stock clutch does . Some used clutches you will see a very bumpy rough spot just above the oneway . If you drive on the rev limiter in low the pulley faces are hitting each other

·
Registered
12,838 Posts
Well I don’t have 58 mph and I run two turbo clutches . On my commander I run out of
Power with my mud tires . Not any fault of the clutch . I put less than one afternoon playing with clutching on the mander . I spent about one hour clutching on the mav . The big plus is the turbo clutch last’s very well without needing repair parts .

·
Registered
65 Posts
I am not saying the clutch is a bad idea It's a lot better then the stock set up . But for the people that are not getting more the 58/59 mph there clutch is not closing all the way the rollors are hitting the hump. If they were to grind them off like you did they would close all the way!!!!!

Most have said they were 58/59 at 8000 rpm (full shiftout)

·
Registered
4 Posts
2016 Clutch Mod

Your weights and spring
That's all and your good
There are two used ones on the mav forum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi Troy,
Long time lurker, first time posting. I am hoping you might have some direction on the stock clutch upgrade for 2016 commander max dps. The posts I have been reading and parts listed are for 2015 models. I saw your posts saying the stock clutch is better than buying a new assembly. Any thoughts would be Great!

Thanks

·
Registered
12,838 Posts
I was talking about a stock maverick non-turbo clutch being used on a mander .
The mander clutch is not a great unit

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is that something i can buy and it just installs in or is there other mod i need to be aware of? After reading all these posts....the aftermarket clutches seem like a hassle with not lasting.

·
Registered
12,838 Posts

This is the two parts I bought to make a locked turbo clutch

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks Troy, I have them noted. Just to be sure, these parts will work for my 16 commander max. How much of an expert do i need to be to install these?

·
Registered
12,838 Posts
Very easy to put together, but you will get the best results if you use the movable half from a mav . The mander one will work but you will lose some top end .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do you have a part # for that?

So here is my issues i am having....Love my machine...but the heat from mid engine is terrible. I have been reading and some people suggest the titanium tape and thermo dynamat to reduce the heat in the cab. We live in Az and we cannot ride in the summer, too hot already, but with the heat coming from the cab its beyond terrible. So I am trying to think of a way to gain more Hp and reduce the heat. Just adding it here since you quickly reply....much appreciated on your thoughts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just got my turbo clutch inner, governor, and 12-14mm stepped washer in. Do you think that a 160mm bolt will be too long? That is all that I could find locally.
It is a 2015 maverick 1000r.
Also will I need to grind the lump off the end of the weights to get full shiftout?
Running 30" outback max tires if that makes any difference.

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
I just got my turbo clutch inner, governor, and 12-14mm stepped washer in. Do you think that a 160mm bolt will be too long? That is all that I could find locally.
It is a 2015 maverick 1000r.
Also will I need to grind the lump off the end of the weights to get full shiftout?
Running 30" outback max tires if that makes any difference.
Bolt should be 155mm MAX and be grade 12.9 SHCS (hard to find hex heads in that grade.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I ended up using the 160mm grade 12.9 socket head bolt. I did clean up the end of the bolt and remove 1-2 mm from the head. i screwed the bolt in by hand till it bottomed and marked it, then measured to the mark with a digital caliper. I assembled the clutch without the spring and inserted the bolt till it toughed the first thread and measured the amount of bolt protruding after seating the clutch firmly. I used the stepped washer and a hardened washer, unless there is more than .6" compression on the clutch assembly it should be fine. It seems ok It torqued down and everything seems tight and is running ok.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Everyone, I know there is a lot on here about Mav turbo primary conversion but what I'm needing is a primary and secondary for a 2012 commander 800 xt Both clutches are completely wore out. I also am wondering what other secondary clutches will work, meaning what other stock oem clutches from outlander, renagade, etc will work. From what I can tell, their the same but with a stronger spring...??

Any help would be great. Not ready to spend 1400.00 on a Airdam prim and secondary set up.

281 - 300 of 335 Posts