Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I am considering putting a resettable circuit breaker on my winch. I have a viper 4K wide spool. Using the factory installed 8 gauge (I think) wire. What size breaker would be best?

Steve

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Why what is the reason for installing a circuit beaker??
I think his thinking is a c breaker is resettable and fuses are not is his thought, if it's blowing that often something may be getting very hot?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
The Viper winch could be too much for the factory fuse? Put in a bigger fuse and a breaker rated the same as the old fuse.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To the best of my knowledge there is no fuse or breaker currently inline for the winch wiring. I just thought as a safety measure I would install some type of protection. Maybe I don't need it.

Steve

·
Super Moderator
25,807 Posts
If so you would be paying more for a breaker than the cost of the winch. And the only way it would ever trip is if the lead wire shorted out against the frame.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was thinking something like this:

Steve

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I thought there was a large fuse from the factory? Maybe I'm thinking about my rear winch instead. It has a silver metal box (fuse? Breaker?) that bolts onto the battery lug to power the winch. I will have to check it tonight.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
They are circuit breakers. Just google them, they are everywhere.

·
Registered
12,849 Posts
Why are you wanting a fuse or circuit breaker on a winch .
Just incase the winch wire gets pinched it will trip the breaker . ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Why are you wanting a fuse or circuit breaker on a winch .
Just incase the winch wire gets pinched it will trip the breaker . ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That was my thought....yes.

Steve

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all,

I am considering putting a resettable circuit breaker on my winch. I have a viper 4K wide spool. Using the factory installed 8 gauge (I think) wire. What size breaker would be best?

Steve
You can buy an in-line circuit breaker at your local Autozone for under $5. I highly recommend putting one on as you would rather have the circuit breaker trip and reset than to burn up your winch or battery. I just put a winch on my Commander this weekend and was wondering if it had a built-in circuit breaker on the factory wiring. So I'm guessing the answer is no, so I will be installing one on mine. I saw a neat trick where a guy put the circuit breaker in an outlet box to keep it from shorting out. I'll probably do that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts