Can-Am Commander Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I am considering putting a resettable circuit breaker on my winch. I have a viper 4K wide spool. Using the factory installed 8 gauge (I think) wire. What size breaker would be best?

Steve

· Registered
2,013 Posts
Why what is the reason for installing a circuit beaker??
I think his thinking is a c breaker is resettable and fuses are not is his thought, if it's blowing that often something may be getting very hot?

· Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To the best of my knowledge there is no fuse or breaker currently inline for the winch wiring. I just thought as a safety measure I would install some type of protection. Maybe I don't need it.

Steve

· Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was thinking something like this:

Steve

· Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

· Registered
1,040 Posts
I thought there was a large fuse from the factory? Maybe I'm thinking about my rear winch instead. It has a silver metal box (fuse? Breaker?) that bolts onto the battery lug to power the winch. I will have to check it tonight.

· Registered
13,046 Posts
Why are you wanting a fuse or circuit breaker on a winch .
Just incase the winch wire gets pinched it will trip the breaker . ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Why are you wanting a fuse or circuit breaker on a winch .
Just incase the winch wire gets pinched it will trip the breaker . ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That was my thought....yes.

Steve

· Registered
16 Posts
Hey all,

I am considering putting a resettable circuit breaker on my winch. I have a viper 4K wide spool. Using the factory installed 8 gauge (I think) wire. What size breaker would be best?

Steve
You can buy an in-line circuit breaker at your local Autozone for under $5. I highly recommend putting one on as you would rather have the circuit breaker trip and reset than to burn up your winch or battery. I just put a winch on my Commander this weekend and was wondering if it had a built-in circuit breaker on the factory wiring. So I'm guessing the answer is no, so I will be installing one on mine. I saw a neat trick where a guy put the circuit breaker in an outlet box to keep it from shorting out. I'll probably do that.

· Registered
12 Posts
Sorry for the Necro thread response... Just noticed and would delete if I could...
The correct way to wire a winch is with a relay. The only fuse or breaker it needs is off the trigger wire which is low current.
Large gauge wire (depends on winch size) goes straight from the battery to an appropriate sized relay. I have a 350 or 500 amp for my F350 12k winch. From the relay you then go to the winch. That's it for the heavy gauge wiring. From your fuse block or a breaker you'll run a switched accessory power wire. Generally 12awg is fine. This goes to the relay. Some people put a heavy duty switch in between the battery and the winch. Not a bad idea, but debatable if necessary.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts