Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Commander 800 XT
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out riding around our farm land in low gear going slow. The check engine light came on then the head lights cut off. I turned the ignition all the way to the right to cut the lights off and the check engine light cut off. Every time I would turn ignition to head lights the check engine light would come on and every time I turned the switch to off the check engine light cut off . I had to replace the headlight switch a couple months ago because high beams wouldn't work and that fixed it. I've not had any other problems with them until tonight. Any ideas????
Thanks!

·
Registered
2012 Commander 800 XT
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I did think about that. I just found where the fuse location is. I will check it tomorrow.

·
Registered
2012 Commander 800 XT
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's a crazy question. When it says check engine, how do you know what to check? It's not throwing a code.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Have you checked the headlight relay? If that looks good, I would check battery voltage at rest, then with engine running, then engine running with lights on.

·
Super Moderator
25,310 Posts
Here's a crazy question. When it says check engine, how do you know what to check? It's not throwing a code.

1. turn key to lights on position

2. use mode button and scroll to engine hour (EH) on gauge

3. press and HOLD the mode button while quickly toggling between high and low beam ( min 3 toggles in 2 seconds)

4. If there is any P-CODES they will be displayed

·
Registered
2012 Commander 800 XT
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you checked the headlight relay? If that looks good, I would check battery voltage at rest, then with engine running, then engine running with lights on.
Thanks, I'm going to get a relay on my way home. I'm pretty sure that's what it is too!

·
Registered
2012 Commander 800 XT
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I stopped at Advance Auto on the way home and picked up a Relay, that's what it was!!! The part number was R6367 in case anyone else needs to get one quick. They wanted almost $15 for it but they matched NAPA's online price of $9.99, then I had 5 dollars in speed perks! Out the door under 6 BUCKS and it FIXED it,
WINNING!!!!!!
Thanks again for all the help!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts