Can-Am Commander Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I finally fixed all the wiring that was chewed up, and got it to start! But, it will idle all day long but as soon as I put it in gear it will give me a check engine light, limp home mode, and die. The check engine light doesn't stay on for me to check the codes, does anyone have any recommendations?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, new development, when I try to start it now it doesn't really try to start unless I jump it off my truck. It's a brand new battery but I have it on a charger just in case, but it still idles fine after I jump it but as soon as I put it in gear it gets check engine light and limp home then dies. I'm gonna change the plugs soon as I get a chance today.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Will it rev when in park or neutral?

When you say "as soon as you put it in gear" do you mean as soon as you put it in gear and apply load? Or just as soon as the dash says Reverse, high or low instead of park or neutral?

And when you say it's now not trying to start, do you mean the battery barely turning the motor or it just cranks a lot before it fires and runs?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't try to read it when it was in neutral this morning but I will try when I get home. But as soon as I put it in gear before I try to move it dies. And the battery is barely able to turn the engine over, it sounds really weak but all of my lights and light bar and radio works just fine. Also when I put the battery on the trickle charger Within 15 minutes it said that it was fully charged

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also as soon as I put it in gear the check engine light and limp home mode flashes on the screen and when it dies or I turn the key on the check engine light is gone

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Make sure your battery cables are tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did that and everything else works fine like my light bar and radio and my headlights and my Dash

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also I didn't like the way some of the connections looked so I cut them off and put new connectors on and made sure they were tight when I put them back on

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Leaving the battery aside, if no load, only a change in gear designation, then it sounds electrical-probably related to your mice. When you engage a designated gear that signal gets sent to the ecm and parameters are changed through that computer. See if forward behaves any differently than reverse.

The spark plugs are always a good first step - I've had them do weird things.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay I have an update I changed the plugs and went ahead and added fuel injection cleaner to the fuel just in case even though I already drained the tank. Tried to start it and had to jump it off my truck got it to run but it died while still at idle I was able to rev It Up while in idle but I still got the limp home warning while I was in idle. So I'm going to get a new battery and try that

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
I would still try to check for codes I think they will still be stored in the ECM.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Also, when my fuel pump started goin out, it was hard to start and ran like crap (no codes though). I got one of the loaner tool fuel pressure gauges from autozone or oriellys and checked the pressure. I was only at like 25 or so psi. It should be right at 50. There's an oriellys replacement pump available that's a lot cheaper than oem. If that turns out to be it me or someone can dig up the part number.

Also, a clogged up muffler screen will make it run poorly, in case your mice made a nest in there or dirt daubers did during your deployment.

Troy has mentioned a few times poor running conditions being caused by the maf sensor in the intake duct. Speaking of which, make sure your mice didn't get in there.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I know you put a new battery in it, but i would bench charge it until full. Then do a load test on it. I've had brand new parts that weren't worth the crap they were made from.
And I have seen a bad battery throw stupid signals.
Let me know how you make out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts