Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Everything I've read on here says the LED bulbs for the Commanders aren't that good. I wish there was a good one cause I would switch in a heartbeat. Most seem to go to HID's which I personally find to be a bit finicky. If you find any good LED's please let us know.

Steve

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I have been meaning to try these but just have never gotten around to it, as I don't really need them since I have leds on the a pillars and roof. When I had my rhino, I found some hi/low beam leds with a fan and they were awesome. I was interested in these below for the commander because, unlike with the rhino, the back of the bulb assembly would be exposed on the commander and the heat sink on these is fanless. Also, I think I originally found these as I read some positive reviews of them being used on can am outlanders or renegades. Double check that defenders use the same bulb (9005) as the commanders or find one with the correct base.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PHILIPS-CSP-9005-HB3-LED-Headlight-Bulbs-Conversion-Kit-8000LM-50W-6500K-DC9-32V/172567718431?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

·
Registered
94 Posts
I changed mine out to some I found on ebay. Not real expensive but definitely way better then the halogen bulbs!!
I then added a 42 in light bar after but the bulbs made a big improvement.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Well I'm glad to hear there are some led options now. Everything I had read previously pretty much said they all sucked. I'm basically just looking at it for the reduced power draw.

Steve

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have the 35 and 55 w HID's and love them. The stock defender comes with 4 35w Halagon, I upgraded to the 55w for my high beams, quite the difference. The led's will not be as bright but will be bright. LED is an instant on where as HID has about a 3 second warm up time.

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
I was surprised how much better the were. For $30 i was able to replace hi and low beam and they are just as bright as the ones in the picture above.
They have been through the mud and water and no issues so far.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Royalt custom lighting. They have led and hid’s. Very bright lights and great customer service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
So do the new LED bulbs give you the same "line" that you see where the lights stop on the low beams?

Steve

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
233 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "same line" I do know that the LED's that you get from Royal T custom lighting are fully adjustable in regards to the beam.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "same line" I do know that the LED's that you get from Royal T custom lighting are fully adjustable in regards to the beam.
I always thought it was due to being a projector type bulb. On mine the is a definite delineation between light and dark, It is almost like in the bulb on low beams there is a shield to keep the light from going too high.

Steve

·
Registered
188 Posts
I always thought it was due to being a projector type bulb. On mine the is a definite delineation between light and dark, It is almost like in the bulb on low beams there is a shield to keep the light from going too high.

Steve
The automotive lighting industry calls that a "Cut line". There is a shade inside the PES that creates that cut line.

I'd be interested in an LED conversion that works well. I'm going to check out this Royal T outfit.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts

Steve
The automotive lighting industry calls that a "Cut line". There is a shade inside the PES that creates that cut line.

I'd be interested in an LED conversion that works well. I'm going to check out this Royal T outfit.
Definitely report back with what you think. I'm more interested in saving some amperage in addition to the light output. Between Halo's, Rock Lights, Light whips, Light bar, Radio and Fan there is quite a draw on the system. (whips, halo's and rock lights only draw 4 or 5 amps that I measured) In fact after one stop this past summer way out on the trails after finishing an adult beverage or two and the radio on I had to use my jump pack to get it started. Of course mine is a '14 and still has the original battery so there is that.

Steve

·
Registered
7,913 Posts

Steve

HaleYes, when you order get some for Booger because he would like to try some too. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
286 Posts
had stock then hid then led, now I have hid in low and led in high, hid is by far the brightest however a lot more finicky and wiring, the leds in the low beam were useless to me there is a plastic wall inside the low beams that doesn't allow any light to shine out its ricochet off the housing inside is all that you get, and the leds in the high beams are bright but scattered hids were more defined,

·
Registered
188 Posts
Well, I'm not too impressed with this Royal T outfit. He started off good answering my questions. Don't know why I scared him off. As soon as I asked if he'd ever had the output measured on a photo-goniometer, he quit answering my messages. I don't know if he thinks I'm out to get him or what the deal is. The last corospondance I had with him was this past Saturday......this is Thursday.:sad

Don't think he'll be getting any of my business.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I think LED Headlights still have a ways to go to be a better option than HID's... Tried them in My Commander, Renegade, and my Ford F250 and none really impressed me at all... Switched Commander and Rene back to HID's (not the low $$ versions this time) and the F250 back to PIAA Halogens... By far the best headlights I have in any of my vehicles are the Factory HELLA Bi-Xenons in my Mercedes SUV's and E500... They are simply awesome headlights, but I don't think at $1600 a side they are an option for the other vehicles... :sad

·
Registered
117 Posts
Just wanted to follow up on this. Anybody know the bulb type for the Defender? Thinking about getting a set of LED for either the low or high beam and trying them out.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The bulbs in the defender are H8 however H11 will also work, All 4 bulbs in the defender are 35watt. If you going to change to LED or HID I suggest you also upgrade to 35 watt for the low beams and go up to 55watt for the high beams.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts