Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, long time lurker on the forum , first time poster.

I need help from some experts. I own a 2013 commander electric 4x4. which works great on flat or gently sloping terrain, but the problem is I live on a relatively steep hill, and while i can get down the path of the hill OK, when I try to climb the path, as soon as I get any momentum some kind of governor kicks in and shuts off the motor.

It's a gravel and dirt path, with an even rate of climb, not out outrageously steep and at no point were the wheels even losing traction.

Just as i was getting up a good head of steam, it was like some invisible hand reached over and turned the key off. (not slowed down, but motor shut completely off) Last week , I had to get a friend with a bobcat pull me up the hill

Is there some way to defeat the governor? ( I assume its a governor) if i can't figure this out Ill have to trade for a gas version.

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Yikes. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any thoughts on a hack? Would the motor controller programing tool work? I would really like to get some use out of it this year. There is tons of firewood just waiting to be hauled up the hill :)

I would hate to sell it since it's is a nice UTV other than it not being able to climb my hill.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would send a email to BRP asking what incline it can climb before shutting down. Then see what the incline of your hill is. If smaller than what they say, ask them to replace as it will not do what their specs say.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts

I need help from some experts. I own a 2013 commander electric 4x4. which works great on flat or gently sloping terrain, but the problem is I live on a relatively steep hill, and while i can get down the path of the hill OK, when I try to climb the path, as soon as I get any momentum some kind of governor kicks in and shuts off the motor.

It's a gravel and dirt path, with an even rate of climb, not out outrageously steep and at no point were the wheels even losing traction.

Just as i was getting up a good head of steam, it was like some invisible hand reached over and turned the key off. (not slowed down, but motor shut completely off) Last week , I had to get a friend with a bobcat pull me up the hill

Is there some way to defeat the governor? ( I assume its a governor) if i can't figure this out Ill have to trade for a gas version.

After Bobcat lift and back to level does it perform as it should ?

·
Registered
5,852 Posts

after looking at the Battery set up I would start with a possible loose connection at the fuse holder, all battery's and the main contractor switch.
Perhaps one or something is loose in the system and loosing contact in the chain when going up hill might be a slight bit of movement in the battery cabling ?
Just a WAG

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

After Bobcat lift and back to level does it perform as it should ?
Yes, works great afterwards. as long as the grade isn't more than about 18%.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

after looking at the Battery set up I would start with a possible loose connection at the fuse holder, all battery's and the main contractor switch.
Perhaps one or something is loose in the system and loosing contact in the chain when going up hill might be a slight bit of movement in the battery cabling ?
Just a WAG
Thanks for the tip!, I'm doing this out tonight

·
Registered
12,787 Posts
Does the Electric commander have any type of gauge on it that shows how much amperage the drive motor is pulling from the battery bank .
The reason I'm asking , is even the local trains that run on our tracks have engines that are 30 years old and they have a simple gauge's that shows how much current is going to the electric motor's . If it don't have anything it will be harder to figure out .

·
Registered
84 Posts
It may help to look under: Commander_E_Bob his post have a lot of information on the specs, that may help you locate a problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts