Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently installed the CanAm Defender Cargo Bed Rails (CanAm part# 715003444) on my Defender Max. I'm just adding here some problems I ran into and some recommendations for others that might be looking into installing these racks as well.

Let me first say that most CanAm specific parts that I've installed have fit really well, however, the bed rails that I received (both sides) were about 1/4" too long to fit properly and conform to the shape of my bed. Basically if I were to slide my rails to where the back mount was flush, then my front mount wouldn't be flush by about 1/4" and vice versa. I installed mine where the front mount was flush and drilled the holes. The kit comes with rivets you have to install. First off, throw these in the trash. I installed my one rail with these rivets, and didn't like that the back mount had about 1/4" gap to sit flush on the back. That wasn't going to fly with me. So I took a small 2x4 and hammer and placed it on the back tab and started to hammer away until it would bend and start to sit flush against my bed. Well, in doing this it started to loosen up all of the rivets I had just installed. So I drilled all of them out and removed them. After studying the setup some more I realized that the side panel could be removed by only removing 6 bolts which was very easy. This allows you to gain access to the back side of the holes you drilled to install the rivets. This allowed me to trash the rivets and install the rails with bolts. I used 10-24 button head bolts that were 3/4" length along with washers on each side and then a nylock nut so it wouldn't rattle loose. This gives a much better and more solid installation. I would highly recommend this over installing the crappy rivets that CanAm uses (I don't know what their obsession is with rivets). Just be prepared that you "might" have to bend the back tab in slightly for a better fit. I've provided some pictures for reference. Anyways, I hope this might help others thinking of installing these bed rails.....

The tab that I'm talking about is the one towards the very back of the machine. You may have to bend this in a little bit so it sits flush.

Attachments

·
Registered
230 Posts
Nice clean install, Good Job.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts