Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to add a light bar and rock lights and maybe a whip. Thinking a fuse box is called for. But looking to use the factory accessory plug as a starting point. Thinking of connecting a fuse box in the dash via that plug and then adding the light bar, whip and rock lights into the fuse box. Can I do that? Not keen on putting the fuse box down by the battery and then having to rune wires for each thing up to the dash for rocker switches.

·
Super Moderator
24,909 Posts
You can put the fuse box anywhere. But no acc link I know off that can carry that much load. You will need to run wire from box to battery. Then pull power from acc to switch to power up the relays .

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
The accessory plug is good for one or two lower power accessories or a multitude of relay triggers. I added a couple of in-line fuses as main power for my accessories and use the factory accessory power as relay trigger power.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can put the fuse box anywhere. But no acc link I know off that can carry that much load. You will need to run wire from box to battery. Then pull power from acc to switch to power up the relays .
Hmm. Ok. Thanks. That's what I was afraid of. Not much experience with wiring and my idea just seemed TOO easy!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
^ This.

ACC plug is just to power the relay when you turn the switch off/on. Main power for the light bar can come direct from the battery with an inline fuse.

Using the ACC plug is best since it's part of the key on power group. Key off and everything shuts down, so even if the switch for the light bar/other accessories is left on, your key on power ACC plug will turn off, as will everything running from it.

-Kris

Reactions: acefire

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
That's how my roof front/rear roof led's and my A-pillar mounted pods are. That is, since the acc triggers the relay, when the ecm turns the power off a bit after you turn the key off, they shut down even if the switch is in the "on" position. Likewise, I use the acc as a trigger for my fan override. On the otherhand, I run the radio directly off of the battery because, I run it a lot when the machine is off - you just can't forget and leave it on, which I have once or twice.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts