Can-Am Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Administrator
26,912 Posts
To find Axles you will need to know how much longer the axle you need is longer than the stock axle. Stock is the baseline you will need to know if it's plus 1 ,2,3,4 inch longer. No one can look at the Pic and guess what axle you need .

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Can Am Commander 800R
18 Posts
To find Axles you will need to know how much longer the axle you need is longer than the stock axle. Stock is the baseline you will need to know if it's plus 1 ,2,3,4 inch longer. No one can look at the Pic and guess what axle you need .

How does one determine the length needed with the unknown variable present? I have much the same situation. If I can learn what mods were done is there is spec that tells what length is needed or a way to measure and determine?
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Locking hubs

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tread

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

White Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Wood

Plant Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Tire
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Motor vehicle
White Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Wood
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tread
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Locking hubs
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood
Plant Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Tire

·
Registered
18 Posts
As you can see it has been lifted and it may be causing boot problems as if it was not done completely or incorrectly. I need help and local shop has extremely long turn-around. The only direct clue is the brand on A-arms. How will I learn what other parts were changed other than obvious 32" tires?
When bought I knew it had bad bearing and busted boots but being a newb to ATV I had not thought ahead to the challenge of fixing. Thought process is beginning to catch up and that includes not trying both keys at the time. After getting I found the black key was partially broken and not working. $200 for getting a set but the ugly side is they claim the machine has to come in and as stated earlier they are really backed up. I know this because I know of another machine the person has been waiting forever. I couldn't even get a promise date. And when I learned they worked on just one machine an entire day it makes me think they only have one mechanic. And they at minimum have growing pains as they just took on Honda and may be relatively new at Can Am.
Best option seems to be try to do myself instead of dragging a long distance.
Experienced input greatly appreciated. If I learn what parts I really need it should go well with changing the wheel bearing being the most challenging.

·
Administrator
26,912 Posts
From what I can see in the pics. You have a bracket lift. And satv high clearance from arms. Guessing lift is probably satv as well.

·
Administrator
26,912 Posts
Can am boots are more like plastic most others are rubber . With increased angles on the boots they are going to wear more from rubbing . Guessing those are stock length axles . If they aren't pulling out of the diff when running the woods they're not to short . The axle shaft should have a part number on them if they are oem axles. Not sure how after market marks theirs .

·
Vendor
386 Posts
^^^^ Same...they'd have a part number on the shaft if they're our axles. We have axle spacers that should come with all the Commander axles. I think there's a vendor in here that also sells the axle spacers (axle-stenders).

@acefire , you've mentioned before that the Mav XC (or XXC?) may work. Is that front and rear?

·
Administrator
26,912 Posts
Mav xc/xxc are 1/2 " ish on both front and rear longer. Lots have switch over with no issues . Most of the time if axles are to short with bracket lifts or right at 1/4 " so the xxc gives you a little more room.

·
Registered
18 Posts
From what I can see in the pics. You have a bracket lift. And satv high clearance from arms. Guessing lift is probably satv as well.

Thank you. I will have to check closely but likely correct. I don't think it is SATV 6" lift but a combination of some other options. Need to check rear arms for brand or other info as extended they likely are. From memory it appears to have SATV lift for 33" tires. It appears I can lower slightly by the adjustment on shock for spring location.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Can am boots are more like plastic most others are rubber . With increased angles on the boots they are going to wear more from rubbing . Guessing those are stock length axles . If they aren't pulling out of the diff when running the woods they're not to short . The axle shaft should have a part number on them if they are oem axles. Not sure how after market marks theirs .

Thanks for the tips. Maybe if I clean the shafts I can locate a number. I guess they had not been pulling out, but the LR has busted inner boot and seems to have splines wrecked as it slips. Disassembly is needed to learn precise damage. The wheel bearing on that shaft is also very loose.

·
Registered
18 Posts
^^^^ Same...they'd have a part number on the shaft if they're our axles. We have axle spacers that should come with all the Commander axles. I think there's a vendor in here that also sells the axle spacers (axle-stenders).

@acefire , you've mentioned before that the Mav XC (or XXC?) may work. Is that front and rear?
Thanks for the tip on shaft number location SATV. Newb. Not sure what a axle spacer is. Installed where and does what?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mav xc/xxc are 1/2 " ish on both front and rear longer. Lots have switch over with no issues . Most of the time if axles are to short with bracket lifts or right at 1/4 " so the xxc gives you a little more room.

Does under half inch make a difference? Is that compressed or fully extended?

·
Registered
18 Posts

Super ATV, do you have access to shaft lengths compressed and extended for my machine. 2015 Can Am Commander 800R

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mine measures 660mm fully extended from cup to cup
When you say mine what shafts are you referring to. Are those on your machine or a brand you deal with. Is that from the inner edge of the cups or some other point. That would seem to be a good measurement to know. I thought the length was measured as the total length of the shaft. That would mean the length would change for every application but probably so in other ways also depending upon cups depth and used shaft as well.
I had obtained collapsed length of 8-ball for the rear as being 688 mm plus or minus 3 mm. Working on getting extended as well as collapsed for various shafts

·
Administrator
26,912 Posts
I have tuner eagle axles I'm just seeing if there's a replacement other then turner eagle
660 on the turner or 660 on the stock one that is to short . You should be able to fully extend both the turner and the stock . Measure the length difference in inches not mm. How evermany inches the turner is longer than the stock is the length difference. Then look up axle in plus however many inches the difference is. There's lots of axles out there but you have to know what the length is over stock length.

·
Registered
18 Posts
660 on the turner or 660 on the stock one that is to short . You should be able to fully extend both the turner and the stock . Measure the length difference in inches not mm. How evermany inches the turner is longer than the stock is the length difference. Then look up axle in plus however many inches the difference is. There's lots of axles out there but you have to know what the length is over stock length.

Got it. I am going to circle back to SuperATV and see if they have a suggested shaft with this lift and hopefully learn its lengths. Thanks for help and any more you can.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts