Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

I am starting this thread to encourage people to put forward their thoughts on what the proposed Can-Am UTV/SxS will be like, or at least what you are expecting.

This includes size, mechanical specs, suspension, capacities, style, and even colour.

I know it is often the case that most will compare the proposed Can-Am SxS to the Polaris RZR.

However... Can-Am/BRP rarely follows the pack.

It would be nice to have a discussion on the Can-Am SxS even if it has already been designed.

Many atv manufacturers do frequent forums to get ideas for their products.

This should should cover both the Sport SxS & Utility UTV to make it fair for all.

Let the fun begin!!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Good Idea!

I would like to see something along the same lines as the RZR with the quality that can-am is known for.

A Side By Side that is kick ass out of the box.

With the issues that Yamaha has faced over the last year, I would hope Safety would be a top concern.
- Strong cage
- Half Doors
- Racing Harness

I would also like to see features added that would make the vehicle street legal. (turn signals, horn, etc)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would also like to see features added that would make the vehicle street legal. (turn signals, horn, etc)[/QUOTE]

I agree with you street legal is a must, since you can buy a Toyota 2010 for less then a SxS. An what about a cheap 50cc scooter that is street legal, how can you explain that??????????? :confused: Can-Am should be street legal and the best in the SxS categories.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Got some news. It will be out in Spring 2010. There will be 3 models. A base, an XT, and a Sport.

Now the speculation is the 500 in the base, the 650 in the XT, and the 800R in the sport.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I asked around and it will be have to be 800+cc to match the heavier weight of the vehicles.

Techinically anything below 800cc in a standard (not base) model SxS or UTV is too small for the vehicles mass & weight distribution.

I've tested so many SxS/UTV's and noticed that unless your machine is at least 40% plastic. A 500cc, (a really reliable torquey 500cc) is barely enough to move, and you know that just about every one is going to want 45+MPH minimum.

Even the Polairs ranger is a little weak under 800cc.

The exception is of course a SxS that has a diesel engine. However you won't get much speed unless you have a turbo.

Granted Rotax engines have significantly more output for their size.

Remember that even a small SxS is at least 1400lbs. A beast such as the Polaris sportsman X2 800cc deluxe with a full tank of gas is 950lbs.

·
Registered
214 Posts
cool, I read something similar to that on another forum although a credited source wasn't listed :)

I sure hope so, I've been putting off a SxS purchase for sometime now in hopes of something new that is in the same class as the RZR.

Got some news. It will be out in Spring 2010. There will be 3 models. A base, an XT, and a Sport.

Now the speculation is the 500 in the base, the 650 in the XT, and the 800R in the sport.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I asked around and it will be have to be 800+cc to match the heavier weight of the vehicles.

Techinically anything below 800cc in a standard (not base) model SxS or UTV is too small for the vehicles mass & weight distribution.

I've tested so many SxS/UTV's and noticed that unless your machine is at least 40% plastic. A 500cc, (a really reliable torquey 500cc) is barely enough to move, and you know that just about every one is going to want 45+MPH minimum.

Even the Polairs ranger is a little weak under 800cc.

The exception is of course a SxS that has a diesel engine. However you won't get much speed unless you have a turbo.

Granted Rotax engines have significantly more output for their size.

Remember that even a small SxS is at least 1400lbs. A beast such as the Polaris sportsman X2 800cc deluxe with a full tank of gas is 950lbs.

The folks who own 450 Rhinos would disagree with you. They are very capable and will go in the eastern woods anywhere a 660 will go. With that being said, a 500 Rotax V-Twin has the same power as a 660 Rhino. The engine sizes are just speculation on my part as a way to keep the base price down on the model to keep more people in the market for their machine.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WVyankee2.

Thanks for the reply.

It is quite possible that is the situation for your region.

However i live in Northern Canada and you will not see many rhinos around here. The local dealers rarely sell UTV machines below 700cc. Below that is just not strong enough.

I remember my rhino and if memory serves i used my 453 terrajet more than the rhino.

No matter. The idea is to discuss the proposed BRP.

I'm still hoping for a 990cc UTV from BRP.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have herd of the three models on the side by side but they were as qoute to be , one of them was to be like the rzr , another which was going to be like the rhino , and the last one which was going to be a family unit which sat two people in the front and two in the back .
And the motors were a choice of 1000cc or 1400cc there was talk about the same motor as the spyder that can-am has out .

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would like to see something with maybe a tad more GC than a RZR, power steering, radial tires, and at least a 800R motor. Oh and give me an orange color option. :cool:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a couple utv prototypes and i am looking to try a rotary engine in one of them, to see what it would be like.

I found a second hand Mazda RX-7 rotary engine and are rebuilding it.

It's remarkably lite and small for near 200HP. However it does run at awfully high RPMs.

Sounds just like a very loud brp rotax engine.

I don't care for most rotary engines that are based on the 1/4 or 1/3 rotation before exhausting principles.

A single horizontal piston rotary engine would be better. You could have two or three rotors (like plates) with very small compression pistons, or even a single piston compressing for all two or three rotors.

Much smaller, lighter and more powerful engines.

Here is a video link to a single rotor "FULL" rotation rotary engine design.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi.

Here is a nice machine with impressive ground clearance

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That is entirely possible.

Although it's still a nice utv/buggy conversion.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Well it seams that it's time to add some life into this discussion.

What do you think of VISCO-LOK on the new BRP SxS?

I recently got myself a Lada Niva suv. It has a UTV engine of 1700cc in-line 1.7 litre gas engine .

I went out in the snow ice and mud and put it up against some of your regular brand utvs.

The only real competition i had was the Polairs ranger HD.

The Niva is a late 70's early 80's manual select 4x4 mode, similar to the GMC suburban.

It's funny and a little disturbing that something as simple and reliable a construction as the Niva and as old school as the late 70's, get's 40MPG highway, weighs just under 1500lbs and out muds most UTVs.

You can't even get that in the Modern SUVs made for the NA market.

I know that Chevy made a NA version of the Niva. But it was too good and it was discontinued.

Similar story to the GM EV1.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts