Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

It's been a while since we have heard any updates or new rumors about the Can am Side X Side but folks we got a new one for you.

A source indicates:

1. A prototype of the vehicle is already in existence.
  2. Testing for the new Can-Am SxS will begin in Tennessee soon.
  3. The SxS will have the Can-Am Spyder 990 engine w/100hp
  4. Top Speed 83mph
  5. Late May announcement date.

·
Registered
135 Posts
...and nobody would believe me about the engine. :)

I don't know why they could not be tested here in Canada.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been waiting for so long for this sxs to come out that I have almost lost interest, my dealer tells me nothing, the reps seem to hide what they know... I think by the time they release it everyone will be on to something new and completely different, maybe hover quads, heh heh:p.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hopefully this is a good thing. I impatient just like everyone else. I have even had thoughts of an RZR

·
Registered
135 Posts
Oh I cant wait to see this thing!
Even if i have built my own utv. I am still very much interested in the can-am.

I truly hope that they took some of the old BRP know how in making this SxS.

I am curious to see if it will have visco-lok. Being much wider than an atv, you can see how the Polaris ranger in limited slip mode has problems with front wheel traction. However once you lock the diff. It's "Get out of my way!"

It seems confirmed that they well be using the Rotax 991. It's a good choice if it's matched with a proper tansmission.

On the other hand the Seadoo engines have a better hp --> torque conversion.

I would like the see the can-am SxS to have the steering in the center. At least in the sport model.

If you've ever driven a terrajet you would see the big difference the center steering provides.

It's also much more fun.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I really hope there will be a 50 inch wide model. I need this width for some trails around here. Maybe a 50 inch wide 800.....a 60 inch wide 991????

·
Registered
1 Posts
No rumour , but I can confirm my best friend who is also high up in BRP sent me an email from Canada BRP HQ today saying he has now seen the "SSV" and is going for a test ride when the snow stops. I also found out from another dealer in the US that some dealers there have now seen and ridden the new machine also.

It is real , it does exist in the flesh and the words my mate told me today were " it looks like a weapon " . He was not allowed to take photos of it but did manage to get a photo of the HQ and the snow outside .
Now im excited .
I have two on order here in Australia ........:)

·
Registered
504 Posts
No rumour , but I can confirm my best friend who is also high up in BRP sent me an email from Canada BRP HQ today saying he has now seen the "SSV" and is going for a test ride when the snow stops. I also found out from another dealer in the US that some dealers there have now seen and ridden the new machine also.

It is real , it does exist in the flesh and the words my mate told me today were " it looks like a weapon " . He was not allowed to take photos of it but did manage to get a photo of the HQ and the snow outside .
Now im excited .
I have two on order here in Australia ........:)
With a name like Commander, I'm sure it does look like a weapon :cool:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Im not really believing any of this stuff going around as far as release dates.
The name of the machine, I can half believe.

I called my dealer, which happens to be a good friend of the families, today. I asked if he has heard anything so far on the Can_am UTVs. He said other than the video he got with the Can-Am being test run with black trash bags taped all over it so you couldnt see what it would look like, thats all he has recieved from Can-Am.
He said that he should get a pre-order sheet 60 days before they are released along with a service manual for the shop and some literature for the dealers and customers.

Take a sec to put the puzzle together here guys. BRP will not release a vehicle without giving the people who fix them some idea of the workings of them and without the dealers knowing the selling points of them.

We will know about them before they are released for sure. Im betting they arent released until Fall at the earliest.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can Am Release

I visited my local dealer today and they were very excited. Apparently they have been selected as one of the few top dealers to carry the new UTV when it is released this fall.
They have been invited to Las Vegas this summer in July for the official unveiling of the monster. I say monster for one reason, apparently they are saying that there will be 3 engine options

800R
990 Syder motor

and the monster 1200 with a supercharged 200hp........

hard to say, but a guy can hope

·
Registered
8 Posts
Fisher's ATV World will be there!

Message from Brian of Fisher’s ATV World,
Me and my cameraman, “Bone” will be heading to Canada soon to check out the new 2011 Can-Am line up and finally ride their long awaited SXS. We’ll catch it all on video and bring it to you this July!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just had a conversation today! 650, 800, 990 will also be three models and the X model is getting the 990 and will be 19-20 G's:eek:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just had a conversation today! 650, 800, 990 will also be three models and the X model is getting the 990 and will be 19-20 G's:eek:
<hr style="color: rgb(221, 221, 221); background-color: rgb(221, 221, 221);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> I don't know what the cost of the new brp utv will be.

However based on brp history. The brp price will be greatly out of most peoples price range.

I know my cub cadet volunteer 850d + a locally built cab was 16000 CDN$.

It was worth it for the quality & versatility that is cub cadet. However you would never catch me paying that for a Polaris ranger, or Yamaha rhino. No matter how many flashy options they think we need.

Since i rent out my cub cadet the costs are manageable.

As far as i am concerned BRP/CAN-AM should be slapped with a fine for so grevously over charging Canadians.

I know that brp products are a cut above the rest. However there is no excuse for charging up to 4000$ more to people in your own country.

Considering that i have built many of my own machines, and i know what the costs of materials are at a consumer level. I can imagine the materials costs savings are at a commercial level.

Sorry for the rant.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts