Can-Am Commander Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my "used" (100 miles) 1000x last weekend and am figuring out which options to go with. I have decided to try the half windshield over the full, but am debating on what to do with lighting.

Anyone installed the Can-Am light rack? Are the Can-Am lights worth the money? Can't see how they would be.

Are the HIDs/halogens "special"? Why the heck are they so expensive? Are the bulbs replaceable? Also, the LED bar isn't in the 2012 accessories catalogue. Were there problems with it? I was leaning towards the LED - longer battery life with the engine off.

Recommendation - LED vs. HID vs. Halogen? Obviously price will play a factor.

Does anyone know if there are aftermarket lights that will fit in the light rack? I see that there are aftermarket switches, but not sure of the connections to the stock harness. Don't really want to start hacking into the harness. I really like the quality of the kits that Can-Am has, but I'm not sure if they are worth the money.

Also, is it worth the money to upgrade the headlights to HID? What percent more light?

Thanks for an info.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Just got my "used" (100 miles) 1000x last weekend and am figuring out which options to go with. I have decided to try the half windshield over the full, but am debating on what to do with lighting.

Anyone installed the Can-Am light rack? Are the Can-Am lights worth the money? Can't see how they would be.

Are the HIDs/halogens "special"? Why the heck are they so expensive? Are the bulbs replaceable? Also, the LED bar isn't in the 2012 accessories catalogue. Were there problems with it? I was leaning towards the LED - longer battery life with the engine off.

Recommendation - LED vs. HID vs. Halogen? Obviously price will play a factor.

Does anyone know if there are aftermarket lights that will fit in the light rack? I see that there are aftermarket switches, but not sure of the connections to the stock harness. Don't really want to start hacking into the harness. I really like the quality of the kits that Can-Am has, but I'm not sure if they are worth the money.

Also, is it worth the money to upgrade the headlights to HID? What percent more light?

Thanks for an info.
Check out Rigid LED light bars ( best on market ) and mount it just UNDER the front top roll bar .

this will protect your investment in a rollover AND keep you about 8" lower for the lower limbs that could rip the can am light rack off the roof.

Again > just my personal oppinion . which may not be worth PEEn on :icon_wink:

·
Registered
531 Posts
Rhinorehab on this site made one for me and It is great. You have to buy lights but a 4 Wheel shop has them and and they are much better priced.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I've got the can am light rack. I just went with 4 of canam halogen lamps. They retail at like 169 a pair, I believe, as compared to around a retail of 849 to 899 for a pair of the HIDs. I did get a discount on the parts since I bought from the dealership when I purchased my limited. I'm very happy with the brightness of my 4 halogens up top. Combined with the headlamps they really light up the trails. I'm sure I'll eventually add an LED light bar but it would be more because im just a fan of the look. The halogens certainly get the job done with no complaints. I think with an LED bar or HIDs the light would just be more white. I don't think it would actually make me be able to see better. The LED light bars sure look cool though!

·
Registered
319 Posts
i also have the can am sportvisor and light rack i bought the 2 pairs of halogen lights and just upgrading them to hids way cheaper than buying can am hid, i paid $70 to upgrade all the halogens on the light rack and just mounted the ballasts in the sport visor.

It works great and they are way brighter than the halogens!

·
Registered
158 Posts
i also have the can am sportvisor and light rack i bought the 2 pairs of halogen lights and just upgrading them to hids way cheaper than buying can am hid, i paid $70 to upgrade all the halogens on the light rack and just mounted the ballasts in the sport visor.

What size bulbs are in the can am halogens?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
319 Posts

What size bulbs are in the can am halogens?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
862 bulb so any 800 series bulb will fit!!

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have the Can Am light rack with two HIDs in the center and two halogens on the outside.

By themselves, the headlights and the two halogens up top light up the trail very nicely.

Turn on the HIDs and FORGET ABOUT IT. The HIDs are so bright and overpowering, I can turn the halogens off and back on and can tell no difference at all---seriously.

So much so is there no difference, that I soon realized that having the halogens aimed forward is a COMPLETE waste of candle power. I've now turned the lights to the sides and aimed them down so as to light up the sides of the trail while I'm going around those hairpin turns or in off camber situations. It's nice.

My only complaint is the temperature (color) of the light. The halogens have the warm and natural earthy feeling to them. The HIDs have a sterile white or almost cold artificial feeling to them.

If you're going for brightness, hands down HIDs are brighter than the halogen. Night and day. At least from the Can Am brand perspective.

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi there! First post, was waiting until I have the XT picked up to join but figured I can post my visor/light setup. (impatient, so i have the accessories but not the machine!!) I bought two sets of PIAA 510 series driving lamps. As for brightness I can't say but on a bench hookup they seem like they will shine light a fair ways down the road. They fit (barely) in the can-am light rack. The middle two are using the same mounting holes as the can am lights. The outer two lights are in holes that had to be drilled. The outside two are aimed inwards, so they will light up the opposite sides of the road/trail.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts