Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first time posting in a forum, so hopefully I’m posting in the right place...
But after reading post in forums the last couple days I am extremely worried I screwed up buying a Can Am.
I just purchased a new 2019 Can Am Commander Max XT 1000R from Schronce in Taylorsville NC. I pick it up in about a week after they get it put together. I didn’t know anything about the Visco Lok in the Can Am’s until after the purchase. I know mine does have the QE but I’m not sure if that even matters. Some people seem to think the whole system is junk. I don’t plan on doing any real hard riding and most of the guys I ride with have 4 and 2 seater teryx’s. However, we have a trip planned to West Virginia in a few weeks to ride at some place called the Hatfield and McCoys. I don’t wanna get there and not be able to go where the 800 teryx’s can go. My questions are, am I gonna be disappointed with my Commander and left behind not being able to go where others go? And, what can I do to fix the Visco Lok QE before I go on this trip if in fact it is junk like others say?

·
Registered
7,522 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Go ride. Have fun. Your fears are completely unfounded. There are some aftermarket upgrades for your front differential but I would recommend you put some miles on it before you do anything. I would guess that 95% of Can-Am owners never do anything to their front ends other than routine maintenance. Good luck. Booger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
22,953 Posts
Pretty sure it sounds like you already hate your machine . So eat the trade in and get a Kawasaki!!!

Now the truth most people that complain about the visco being junk can’t drive . Or all the do is big tires and mud. Is the easy button nice in the Kaw yes. But the commander will go anywhere the kaw does if you can drive . As for H&M trails they are nothing special and other than the occasional deep water hole that’s rutted out in the bottom the kaw won’t need the easy button. Once you run out of ground clearance the easy button is useless. There is absolutely nowhere a 800 kaw can go that my commander can’t with a visco. Now there are lots of places the commander can go that the kaw can’t at a lot higher speeds .

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
You're gonna love your Commander. They do float once you get them deep enough .... I know.

-Kris

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Boogerhead, I guess that’s the best thing to do, go and ride. If I have problems then I can address them. I’m glad to hear somebody say my fear are unfounded. I haven’t found many that say too much good about the Visco Lok.
Acefire, I do t already hate the machine. I picked it out over the Kawasaki and Polaris because I like it so much. If I hated it I wouldn’t be trying to figure out if there was something I could spend money on to make it better. But not knowing anything about the Visco Lok and reading numerous bad reviews on the subject, of course it raised a concern. One guy on another post mentioned some type of locking device he installed that he claimed made a huge difference. He has a commander 800. However, I don’t think his was a QE. I guess my real question was was the QE Can Am’s fix for the problem if in fact there really was a problem. Maybe it’s like you said, just the drivers. If that’s the case then great! I’m glad to hear that. But from both of your post I do feel better. And I’m just gonna leave it as it is and go ride the heck out of it when I get it. With it being a 4 seater, it’s not like I’m gonna be trying to follow a Maverick X3 or a razor or something. But anyway, thanks for you guy’s input. I’m completely new to all this as this is my first side by side ever and I’ve not owned a four wheeler in 20 years. I’ll let y’all know how the machine does after our trip. Hopefully I’ll come back and be completely satisfied with how the Commander did. For the price it is the best looking machine I thought there was. And I love all the features it has that the Kawasaki’s don’t. Plus it looks better. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey, I got one more question about the commander. The rear differential... how does it work? Is it positive traction all the time or is it limited slip? Or is it just like the front and has the Visco Lok? I can’t seem to find anything online that answers my question about the rear differential...

·
Registered
7,522 Posts
Right on forum brother. You will have a blast! Yes, please report back on your trip and feel free to ask about any questions or concerns. There are a lot great folks here with a lot Commander miles under their belts.

·
Registered
7,522 Posts
Hey, I got one more question about the commander. The rear differential... how does it work? Is it positive traction all the time or is it limited slip? Or is it just like the front and has the Visco Lok? I can’t seem to find anything online that answers my question about the rear differential...
It is basically a straight axle. (Fully locked 100%).

·
Super Moderator
22,953 Posts
Lol the first part of my post was sarcasm. There is a torque locker and halo makes a selectable locker. It’s kinda one of those deals most don’t do anything to the front diff until they actually start having visco issues that’s normally do to wear. Or abuse depending on how you run it. I would just run it and see how you feel after putting some miles on the machine . Only diff from standard visco and qe is the time it takes to engage. Standers was around one full turn to 1.5 of the wheel. The QE is closer to a quarter turn . So it’s quick engagement is liked a little more. Once you run the machine you will probably feel more at ease about it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good deal! Thank you both! I feel tons better about buying the Commander now. I’ve been hearing a lot of crap from the Kawasaki guys at work but it sounds like they don’t know what their taking about. So again, thanks guys! Talk to y’all after the trip!

·
Super Moderator
22,953 Posts
It has a solid spool carrier in rear . So yes it’s fully locked . Depending on yr. they did have a selectable turf locker in the rear on some models in 2015. But other than they 11 and up are spool.

·
Super Moderator
22,953 Posts
Good deal! Thank you both! I feel tons better about buying the Commander now. I’ve been hearing a lot of crap from the Kawasaki guys at work but it sounds like they don’t know what their taking about. So again, thanks guys! Talk to y’all after the trip!
Most people are brand specific. And loyal to brand. Every machine out there has its faults the trick is to learn what they are . Then figure out if you can live with it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Man, this forum is the way to go! Y’all have answered questions in minutes that I’ve been trying to get answers to for two days! Thanks again fellas!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts