Can-Am Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
need help diagnosing a new problem. I had been drivin my 2015 can am commander 1000 for about 15 minutes when the check engine light came on even though everything seemed fine. I turned around and drove back to my truck. on the short ride back down to the truck the check engine light went off then on several times. The temp gauge didn’t even register, I had a difficult time shifting gears to load back on the trailer. Very difficult shifting into park. Once I turned it off the radiator began losing antifreeze out the overflow hose. without the engine running I have no trouble shifting between gears. I would guess that this is a drive belt issue but don’t understand the coolant problem being related.

·
Administrator
26,912 Posts
Check engine light came on cause it was over heating. If belt is turning at idle it will be hard to shift. Typically the one way bearing needs serviced if this is what it happening. Clwan radiator throughly then start it and bleed the air out and top off with antifreeze. If Temp gauge wasn't reading the Temp Sensor may also be going out . Once you get it to not over heat. Pull the belt cover off start it and see if belt is rolling at idle. It will roll at first when you start then it will stop in a couple seconds . If it not rolling take for short drive to get it hot and then see if it does it once you stop. You can also turn the belt by hand one way to see if it's dragging. It should turn fairly freely engine off in park or neutral by hand.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check engine light came on cause it was over heating. If belt is turning at idle it will be hard to shift. Typically the one way bearing needs serviced if this is what it happening. Clwan radiator throughly then start it and bleed the air out and top off with antifreeze. If Temp gauge wasn't reading the Temp Sensor may also be going out . Once you get it to not over heat. Pull the belt cover off start it and see if belt is rolling at idle. It will roll at first when you start then it will stop in a couple seconds . If it not rolling take for short drive to get it hot and then see if it does it once you stop. You can also turn the belt by hand one way to see if it's dragging. It should turn fairly freely engine off in park or neutral by hand.

would it overheat if I added two cups of blue antifreeze to the reservoir a week ago?

·
Administrator
26,912 Posts
Pull the inner console panels check all the clamps and the water necks on the heads . The necks are plastic and warp over time. The bleed screws in the necks have gaskets.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pull the inner console panels check all the clamps and the water necks on the heads . The necks are plastic and warp over time. The bleed screws in the necks have gaskets.

Will do, thanks. I’m pretty hand when it comes to mechanics for cars and trucks but this is my first venture into the utv world.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They are all the same just different. Lol but you can't be scared !!

Unfortunately I can’t seem to be able to get to the thermostat to swap it out. Its buried under the air intake. It'd be nice to find videos but I haven’t had any luck there either.

·
Administrator
26,912 Posts
Not a real good way to check it. It's a Thermostat and bypass valve. It's either working or if isn't. It's in a sealed plastic housing .

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not a real good way to check it. It's a Thermostat and bypass valve. It's either working or if isn't. It's in a sealed plastic housing .

engine runs a lot colder now so I’m guessing it’s stuck open. I bought a new thermostat but can’t get everything out of the way to get to where it’s in line

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes loose clamp pull forward and up .

I had to take it apart from underneath through the fender well. Not easy but I got it done. Finished bleeding the air out after thanksgiving dinner. seems pretty normal now with the engine temp staying closer to the middle.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts