Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't even know this thing existed until it popped up in my youtube recommendations. From what I read, right now it's only available in the 2021 XMR 850 and XMR 1000 outlander and XMR 1000 renegade.

I wonder if this would fit - do outlanders/renegades use the same front diff as the pre '21 commanders?

If it can be straight wired (without the ecm being involved) and it fits, it would be a great upgrade. $1054.99 for the diff.

Exploded parts diagram:

Marketing video:

BRP

·
Super Moderator
25,838 Posts
The way I read the website it has manual locking and automatic locking mode. To me sound like smart lock in old style case. But if you can figure out what wire or wires are power and what the ground is you can wire it up on a manual switch .

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s what I was thinking. There’s 4 wires on the plug.

Could you tell how it worked from the parts diagram? I’m assuming like a halo.

·
Super Moderator
25,838 Posts
Pretty sure halo is 1 or 2 hot wires and one ground. It's a screw Actuator. It powers in then powers back out. But I don't remember. I will pull it up on computer at house see if I shows me a better pic.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wish I knew someone who had one so they could check the power at the plug. I'd buy one so long as they haven't changed the mounting and I knew the wiring.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The parts diagram in post 1 linked below shows a 4 wire plug to the actuator.

From the diagram, the actuator has a rod. It looks like this rod pushes part 30w a plunger which goes into a spring, part 30q. It looks like this acts on 30z, which is a shift fork inside of the diff. This must move 30x the shift drum. It's hard to tell from the diagram but it looks like there are dogs on the main internal part of the diff that must lock into some dogs in the shift drum.

So, if the wiring has a ground wire and one wire is for switched constant 12V, which pushes the plunger in and holds it against the spring until switched off, then its simple enough. When 12V is switched off, the spring would push the plunger and actuator rod out. That would leave the other two wires to signal the ecm as whether it's locked or not, etc then the ecm could increase dps power and limit speed, functions which wouldn't be needed in a retrofit scenario - you just wouldn't do anything with those wires and you would add a second locker switch like a Halo diff uses.

Unfortunately, that's all hypothetical until someone tests what the wires are doing...and of course if the dimensions are the same.

Parts diagram:

·
Super Moderator
25,838 Posts
There ya good you got the job. Just buy the Actuator make it work in and out first. Then buy diff once you got it wired up and ready to go.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I was actually thinking about that but the actuator is $310. But since the actuator is also a "30" number (30ab) like the rest of the components, I assume that it comes with the complete diff number 30 for $1055. So if it did work, the diff would wind up costing me $1365 instead of 1055. I've pm'd a guy who I noticed had a new xmr on the atv forum to test the wiring but have not heard back. I guess I'll keep bugging folks for the time being.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts