Can-Am Commander Forum banner

Brand new and it's in the shop

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  celiman89 
#1 ·
My 2020 Commander Max Limited has less than 30 miles and it is in the shop for a transmission issue. The problem started before 10 miles. It literally went in reverse in every gear - including park. Luckily the shop was able to recreate the issue. Since the Ridenow dealership doesn't haven't another on stock they are fixing.

So far my experience has not been good with either Ridenow or Can Am. Been holding my review.

#2 ·
Dealer bad experience doesn't mean the machine is bad. If it was a true defect - it shouldn't have even left the dealer (how did it get on the trailer to get to you, get around the dealer, etc.). Could be as simple as a bad linkage connection (bent/or something). Since R is the first one away from P -- that's the most probably cause is the linkage is bound/broke somewhere and won't move any further.

Anyway -- 99% dealer issue here. I drove 20 miles instead of 1 mile to get my Commander. The same dealer closest to me - IS HORRIBLE. Purchased a dirt bike from them about 8 years back and had no issues. Even let me take it on a quick spin in the lot. Came back a few years later looking at a street bike - they wouldn't start it and wouldn't let me test ride it without a purchase agreement completed, and then I had 3 days to return it if I didn't like it. Again, went back a few years ago looking at UTVs -- saw the 2019 green max, said Cool - we like it, be back in an hour with a check to purchase. Came back -- already sold to someone else.

Fast forward again a few years (this was a few months back now) and the in-laws were ready to purchase one. Did the tour again with them, went to various dealers before they settled on a General. While they were doing all the paperwork and crap (6 hours total...seriously!) I showed up at around the 4hr mark to haul it home for them as they didn't have a trailer yet. I start perusing the tires/wheels/audio section ready to buy some new stuff for the commander - and I couldn't get anybody to help me. Couple walked in a bit after I did and I over heard them talking about buying one, sure enough they had someone there to help them out right away. Yes -- before you ask I did warn them of the crap experiences I've had here - but this was the only dealer in the major metro area with this model/trim in stock at the time (yeah I would have waited myself, but they wanted it now).

When I had to put mine in the shop for the snapped front driveshaft - went to the close dealer again thinking 'Oh they'll honor the warranty'. Song and dance was we can, but it'll take us a week to verify information from the other dealer (even though they sell the SAME exact extended warranty and I brought paperwork showing it was active/paid). Back to the dealer I bought it from, dropped it off and got it back a week later.

Long story short -- don't let a bad dealer experience crap on your experience with the machine. I've beaten the you know what outta mine and have done some pretty stupid stuff with it and it hasn't let me down yet (well, aside from snapping the driveshaft playing in the river). I now know to drive 20 miles for any parts, accessories or service I need.

Morbid curiosity -- where about ya live? Your distaste in a dealer is reminding me of my dealer....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.