Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Already having issue with new machine. 2020 commander 800r dps max.Brake lights work, but tail lights do not. Both filaments in both bulbs are good, contacts are clean. Ride has less than 60 miles on it. Any ideas on what to look for next?

·
Super Moderator
25,310 Posts
Check fuse also check frame rail under bed for break in the harness if fuse is good .

·
Registered
827 Posts
There is a rear light harness that connects to the main harness. It should be connected roughly at the back of the tunnel. It is an orange wire with green stripe. Should be poor connection at the plug, or broken from plug back.
tail light1.jpg tail light2.jpg

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Still chasing this. With a light tester..im getting nothing at either rear light. Both brake lights are working. Light fuse is good..switched relays around..brake lights still work..but no tail lights. Checked plug off main harness with light tester and nothing. Off the main harness there is a blk, org/grn stripe, wht/org stripe, and red wire all going to the tail light harness. Im getting nothing (with a light tester). If im getting nothing from that plug, how are the brake lights working?

·
Super Moderator
25,310 Posts
You won’t get brake signal at plug unless pushing the brake pedal. If brake lights are working then test light isn’t. Find better ground for test light .

·
Registered
827 Posts
The tail lights and the brake lights are two separate wires, fed from the same fuse. I'll post up some more pics in a bit.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Test light works. I ran to work and got my digital meter. Im getting 9.6 volts to the plug connector at tail light bulb on the org/grn stripe wire. From what i can tell that is the tail light branch. Also getting 9.6 volts at the light socket plug on org/grn without the bulb in there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gettin 12.4 volt to brake side of light socket. Both bulbs are checking good with continuity reading to both filaments also.

·
Registered
827 Posts
In the attached pic, the red mark is where the tail/brake light power connects to the fuse. The yellow mark is where the wires branch off, one to tail lights, other to brake lights.(I don't know exactly where that is, physically). The blue mark is the end of the main harness, where the rear light harness connects. A working test light is a good go/no go tool for this, as it contains a bulb. If you aren't getting power to orange/green wire at the end of the main harness, the orange/green is open between there and the fuse.
tail light power.jpg

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm getting 9.6 volts to the plug going to light socket on org/grn wire. Same voltage on that wire in the actual bulb socket also. Getting 12.6 volts to the brake light wire on plug and socket as well. Continuity on bulb is good. Doesnt make sense. If the circuit was broken from fuse to the plug somewere...i would not be getting voltage correct?

·
Registered
827 Posts
Sounds like you're getting low voltage. And not enough current to light a bulb.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Agreed on that. Guessing a semi broken wire could cause the low voltage..probably not ground out anywere due to wire loom..therefore not blowing fuse.

·
Registered
827 Posts
You got it. Or a really poor connection at the exit side of the fuse. Poor conductivity between point A and B.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Short of pulling the machine apart...any way of tracing the wire down and figuring out why/where ita causing the issue at? Machine is brand new..and under warranty..just hate having to haul.it to dealership and wait week + to get it back for something simple..plus paying whatever the deductible is.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Yes but I've got to go before I get in trouble. I'll be off the grid for a few days. Going to the Amazon, where the access is non-existent, and the women are, well, you know, Amazons. Short of taking things apart, no.

·
Registered
179 Posts
If you are getting 9.6V at the light socket without the bulb plugged there should be no current flow and therefore no voltage drop - you should see 12.6V If you haven't already, remove both taillight bulbs and measure the light socket. If still seeing 9.6V you have a short to somewhere which is drawing current..
If this is the case and you measure between the fuse and light socket you should see about 3V (the difference between 12.6V at the fuse and 9.6V at the socket).
Trace the wire visually or if you can probe the wire through the insulation from the fuse toward the light socket you will see 0V until the short at which point you will see 3V.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have replaced the fuse..still the same issue. On either side of fuse in the block..getting 12 + volts. Im almost certain the issue is in the wire from the fuse block to the plug under the bed.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts