Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I am getting a brake error code and reduced power. I recently just put new ball joints bearings and front brake pads on this machine. Something I also done was put LED bulbs in my headlights. I read about checking for codes and it shows no active codes. 2013 can am commander X 1000. Where do I start looking?

Also it will start in gear with foot on brake. Also have led taillights. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
23,206 Posts
When it codes take your foot and left up on brake pedal . Also check your brake lights make sure they are both working and not on all the time . Typically brake code is do to ecm thinking you are on throttle and on brake at same time. So if brake lights are working properly stop driving with two feet. Lol

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so here is what is weird about the brake lights. i purchased after market brake lights last year. didnt know it for a while afterwards my brake lights do not light up when i hit the brake. the tailights are the only thing that comes on when i am running with lights.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
finally got around to unhooking the sensor. engine will not start in gear. rode around some after that. light and brake message is gone and it runs fine with no limp more.

so i guess i need to replace the sensor, but will it matter if i still use it until i can do that?

thanks guys for the help!

·
Super Moderator
23,206 Posts
My brake lights haven’t worked for 3000 miles. Just drive faster than everyone else and they won’t be close enough to hit you when you brake hard to stop.

·
Super Moderator
23,206 Posts
Now hook the switch back up and disconnect the after market brake lights . I would guess they may be the issue if brake lights aren’t working but will switch hooked up it will start in gear.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I get the brake error on the dash and goes in lump mode. Replaced brake switch still doing it. Well start in gear if I push on brake. Brake light are on all the time. Even if I unplug the pressure switch What can be the problem thanks for ideas

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
So I get the brake error on the dash and goes in lump mode. Replaced brake switch still doing it. Well start in gear if I push on brake. Brake light are on all the time. Even if I unplug the pressure switch What can be the problem thanks for ideas
Maybe the brake relay is stuck. I'ts in the fuse box...I think lower right. O'reilly's has a replacement.

Steve

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I replaced brake Relay and still have the same problem. If I remove the relay and put back in it’s fine. If I push on the brakes then it goes back into lump mode and flashing brake Any ideas??

·
Super Moderator
23,206 Posts
Sounds like it’s back feeding power . Take the bulbs out of rear and see if it goes into limp with no bulbs to complete the circuit. Also check wiring under bed to the frame for hot spots from exhaust heat .

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I had the same thing happen with LED tail lights I tried. The brake / tail light circuitry is some gimmicky shit compared to normal automotive tail lamp wiring and they need the load from incandescent stock style bulbs to function.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
I had the same thing happen with LED tail lights I tried. The brake / tail light circuitry is some gimmicky shit compared to normal automotive tail lamp wiring and they need the load from incandescent stock style bulbs to function.

I have had led tail light bulbs in my machine for 2 or 3 years now without any issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,440 Posts

I have had led tail light bulbs in my machine for 2 or 3 years now without any issue

Me too

Steve

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
True but very few have built in load resistors. I ran around with a burnt out bulb for a entire day before I stalled the led and never had a issue

1 - 18 of 18 Posts