Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
8mm x 70mm Hex is what i am using right this minute and it works fine. Some guys are using the 8mm x 90mm hex...but Home Depot only had the 70mm.

·
Registered
326 Posts
just to clarify...my old belt came off easy and new belt went on easy. Still cleaning the sheaves on the clutch but trial tested the new belt to make sure it would slip on and there is plenty of room with the 70mm screwed in 90% of the way.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Hey would you folks pulling your cvt covers off please measure your belts and look at the part number on them. If its not too much to ask please post your results on the two different belts post. Then to really go out on a limb would you please post the last 4 digits of the VIN with it.

Thanks. I am trying to figure this whole belt and clutch thing out.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Hey would you folks pulling your cvt covers off please measure your belts and look at the part number on them. If its not too much to ask please post your results on the two different belts post. Then to really go out on a limb would you please post the last 4 digits of the VIN with it.

Thanks. I am trying to figure this whole belt and clutch thing out.

Damn it spud! I just put it all back together! :wacko: hahaha If it makes you feel any better i have stock setup and replaced stock belt with Dayco XTX 2236. Shifts in and out of gear no different than the stock setup (smooth) and tested out the idle and gear changes with clutch cover off and it idles smooth with no belt grab. I'm going to test drive it tomorrow, but from running it without the clutch cover in my garage it was no different than OEM belt. Will post tomorrow around 7pm Central on how she drove...

EDIT: Last 4 of VIN 0517 Purchased November 1, 2010....Build date: 10\2010 "X" Model

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I couldn't come up with the correct metric bolt real handily, so I just tapped 1 of the other 2 holes in the secondary in US standard thread. I'm not sure, but I would suppose that's what the other 2 holes are for, in case the 1 threaded hole stripped out ......... and for balancing purposes.
Worked for me, now I can easily find the bolt I need without a whole lot of running around looking for a metric

·
Registered
326 Posts
Update...drives fine. No difference in OEM belt at all. Thread pitch was 1 1/4 just like twisted mentioned. i only have 15 miles on new belt but so far so good. Taking it easy on it since i'm "breaking it in". I have hammered on it a couple times, but have kept it under 35 mph since changing the belt.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I know this is an old post but hopefully I can still get an answer and/or insight.
So I bought a piece of 8mm threaded rod (not hardened) and am going to cut to length then weld a couple nuts on the end. Will this work?? Or maybe the question I have is how much torque (oomph) does it take to get the secondary spread? Does it just thread in a open easy or does it take a little muscle?? I hate to put pressure on you guys but I am going to attempt this tonight so time is kind of essence for an answer/advise. Thanks again for an awesome forum!

·
Registered
717 Posts
That's the way I did it. I didn't weld mine. 2 jam nuts on end, wrench outer nut to spread, inner nut to remove. If you feel you must weld, you only need 1 nut. And I didn't use an impact on it. It spreads open easy enough.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts