Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is some pics of my billet head I'm working on, they are 6061 T-651 billet aluminum, 100%CNC machined at MRRPM cycle. These are not ported at all, but will be, as soon as the final port design is worked out. These have the valves moved out .200" in each direction, for fitting of larger valves, and higher ratio rockers. I have a set currently running on a 1020cc, 800 based motor, on my turbo Renegade. It makes around 240RWHP.

These fit the Commander motor, and also the 500/650/800 Can Am ATV motors, which are basically the same engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Target pricing is around $3200. per set, including rockers, valves, springs, & CNC porting. Cams are extra, and stock cams will fit.

·
Registered
112 Posts
There is also videos of it on MrRPMs website.

All I know for a fact is that the gas tank leaks... hehehehehe

Everything on it is custom. I think it is stretched 18 inchs, custom rear end and linkage, tranny was moved back to clear the bigger STM primary and secondary, Turbo running about 50 pounds of boost, Mustang throttle body, RPM intake, prototype MrRPM billet heads. taller tranny gears, still a true 4x4, stand alone ECM, etc etc etc...

·
Registered
547 Posts
sweet !!!
so stm clutch - if just wanting to add exhaust , fuel programer -ecm overide ?
what are pros \cons vs ctech clutch?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I am talking to Monster Products right now about the ECM for the commanders. They should be available very soon. VERY SOON. The exhausts are up in the air right now because there is some confusion why the aftermarket pipes are losing power compared to the stock exhaust. The power commanders will work but will need to be modified and does not change any limiters.
IMO the STM clutch is the best. They are the only clutch that can handle the big HP machines. The CVTech clutch is a great clutch but I am still reserved about it. When they were first released they were breaking the sliders and they had to be modified to stop the breaking. This was on a lighter ATV. There was still issues about the other parts of the clutch that was thought to break. Those are being addressed but again it is another fix for a clutch that has been out for a bit and have not been tested on a high HP canam motor in a heavier commander. The HP numbers that are being talked about the clutch handling was not on a canam. The Rotax motors run like an impact wrench and break clutches. This is why the stock canams were breaking the first batch of CVtechs. This new update he is doing MIGHT hold up to some big Rotax HP numbers but until that is tested (and not from one ride or race) I cannot recammend it. I wish I could but I cant. Adam is a great guy and he is working his butt off to fix all the problems but just the fact that he is still fixing the clutch says a lot about the clutch itself.

·
Registered
547 Posts
what tweaking does Stm need to set up? for set up do you need primary and secondary? anything else?
i am not familar with them , only worked on rhinos

·
Banned
2,446 Posts
i was looking at them from the link mrrpm gave us looks kick ass but its expencive 800.00 for clutch and 165.00 to have it tuned 250 to machine secondary or more for billet secondary

·
Registered
112 Posts
The STM clutchs will fit. The clutches Greg is using is the big dog high horse power sled clutches. The STM secondary is a given no matter what primary you use. The stock helix will break and stockers do not have the any adjustments that can be made besides springs. The primarys come in 3 flavors depending on how much adjustments you want to be able to do. The adjustments come from the number of weights that hang off the primary. The rage 3 is a great clutch and will handle a ton of power. Most of the problems that is being talked about these clutches are due to wrong setups. Tuning the STM is VERY VERY simple.

·
Banned
2,446 Posts
its a nice set up and i like it . thanks on the info it makes it more apealing that the stock cover will go back on but correct me if im wrong total set up is about 2200.00

·
Registered
112 Posts
i was looking at them from the link mrrpm gave us looks kick ass but its expencive 800.00 for clutch and 165.00 to have it tuned 250 to machine secondary or more for billet secondary
The clutches do not need any machining or turning. Pull them out of the box and throw them on. They are priced higher BUT they are THE LAST SET OF CLUTCHES YOU WILL HAVE TO BUY plus they will handle all but the BIG STUPID POWER engines like RPM is running. The problem with cast clutches is that they like to blow apart at high RPMs and HP. The comet clutches started blowing on us. That is why we had to find a better stronger clutch.

·
Banned
2,446 Posts
thats cool thank you for the info im am considering stm and im planning on calling them tomarrow or do i call mr rpm

·
Banned
2,446 Posts
The power commanders will work but will need to be modified and does not change any limiters.

did you know power commander is having alot of problems and if you put one on a harley it voids the warranty for some reason its frieing the computer on harleys

1 - 20 of 52 Posts