Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since one month ago I m studying long travels kit and shocks, I'm from Bolivia, I race Rally in my country, and next year I will race the cross country championship in my country, that the reason so I'm looking for the best kit, please help me to find that, if you were test some kits.
I 'm so interested to buy the turnkey kit with elka shocks, have somebody try that?.....

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I gave the TurnKeyUTV CX3 kit here and ready to be put in. I have been very happy with working with TurnKeyUTV to answer all my questions and getting me a kit that has perfect workmanship from the design to the welds and powerboat paint. I have not driven with long travel yet but I have only heard good things from everyone that has used the TKUTV CX3.

There is not another LOng Travel for the Commander that allows you to adjust the camber on the front. That would be a big plus if you race.

Highly recommended by me.

·
Registered
727 Posts
LT Kits

I use a kit designed by Andrew Buck at Buckshot Racing. I wanted a long travel kit that was capable of handling the weight and the speed that commander is capable of running off-road. Most kits use the same shock mounts as stock and the same length and size shocks as stock. Stock length-size shocks fade/heat up too much when you hammer on the car for long periods of time over rough terrain. Andrew kit is capable of use custom mounts with much longer and bigger shocks than stock which is absolutely a must if you are going to race or run the car hard. The 2.5 shocks heat up as well but they don't fade on the commander even after several long hours of abuse. The stock length shocks do.

The King shocks I use with the custom valving that Brett created makes the car handle incredibly well even in the largest of desert whoops and rough terrain.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use a kit designed by Andrew Buck at Buckshot Racing. I wanted a long travel kit that was capable of handling the weight and the speed that commander is capable of running off-road. Most kits use the same shock mounts as stock and the same length and size shocks as stock. Stock length-size shocks fade/heat up too much when you hammer on the car for long periods of time over rough terrain. Andrew kit is capable of use custom mounts with much longer and bigger shocks than stock which is absolutely a must if you are going to race or run the car hard. The 2.5 shocks heat up as well but they don't fade on the commander even after several long hours of abuse. The stock length shocks do.

The King shocks I use with the custom valving that Brett created makes the car handle incredibly well even in the largest of desert whoops and rough terrain.
Can youn give me the contact of your long travel and shocks please

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Our CX3 kit is the only fully adjustable race proven kit on the market. You will find features on our kit that other companies charge extra for. 4130 steel, delrin bushings, life time warranty, all standard options with the CX3.

·
Registered
727 Posts

Can youn give me the contact of your long travel and shocks please
this is the rear shock length and angle used on Andrews kit and it is so much better then the stock mounts. The car handle big huge whoops with easy at 70 mphs which is tough in a short wheel base UTV.

Attachments

·
Registered
314 Posts
@happy: just google "Buckshot racing commander long travel" and you can see the spec and prices from another site. ;)

Here is the rear sway bar on my Buckshot LT:

·
Registered
727 Posts
rear sway bar or no sway bar?
As you can see I removed or disconnected my sway bar. In the desert the sway is removed. In Glamis I will re-connect it but the body roll is actually very minimal and the small amount that I have experienced is actually a plus when I hit high speed rolling turn. The LT suspension responds much better without it. Overall I don't use it only the large dunes in Glamis is the additional body a question but that is really just something that it takes time to trust and get used to.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Thanks for the info....I have been running my TCB LT with no sway bar and yes the body roll does take some getting used to, but in theory the wheels moving independent of one another should enable each end to tackle the bumps better....
Are those scat trak extremes on your rig and if so how many paddles did you go with?
Thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
314 Posts
I went with 9-paddle extremes from Dave at FSS and they seem fine to me. USAGUY runs 8-paddle but has a bigger tire.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I mentioned before I have the TCB +4 with elka stage 4 shocks.....

What are you guys running your front and rear ride height at?

Sorry for all the questions......Thanks for the help:)

·
Registered
727 Posts
fss

I run a 8 paddle large diameter skat 27... i run about 67 to 68 on normal glamis sand...bout 70 when it was wet and hard packed

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sway

I have the todd's custom billet plus 4 long travel on my commander with stock fox shocks, the body role is terrible and seems dangerous and unrideable...I have asked multiple people without a good answer. I want to be able to corner and hit jumps,bumps etc. I have had the front sway bar mounts welded on and am currently running with the front sway bar which has helped a lot ,my next idea is to add back rear sway bar. Maybe new springs??? I need some ideas and no one seems to know. Thanks for everyone's help...

·
Registered
399 Posts
I believe the stock fox shocks are sprung too lightly for the long travel, you may have to play with spring selection but try springs that are 25lbs heavier front and rear and go from there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Tcb long travel

Thanks for the spring info, do the springs help the sway and dipping or is this all in the sway bars, I'm considering trying to buy a beefier sway bar like sold for the Rzr. My gole is for the commander with Tcb long travel to actually ride better,safer and more comfortable than stock.....I just thought someone had tackled this already and maybe had exact suggestions..high and low speed compression,dampening settings,preload,sway bar,no sway bar, can it be ridden without it drooping to one side when u get in etc....

·
Registered
727 Posts
Thanks for the spring info, do the springs help the sway and dipping or is this all in the sway bars, I'm considering trying to buy a beefier sway bar like sold for the Rzr. My gole is for the commander with Tcb long travel to actually ride better,safer and more comfortable than stock.....I just thought someone had tackled this already and maybe had exact suggestions..high and low speed compression,dampening settings,preload,sway bar,no sway bar, can it be ridden without it drooping to one side when u get in etc....
I hear your pain but your prb is with ur lt kit. Most LT kits on the commander dont work much better than stock. They have longer arms but the same piss poor shocks mounts and shocks lengths over stock. They try to use the stock sway bars after increasing the length of the arms. The kit I use has my sway bar disconnected and even when 500 lbs of riders the car has a smooth gentle pitch into turns and high speeds corners. IT drives incredibly smooth even over the roughest terrain the desert throws at the car. I dont even use the custom bar on the car and without it the independent rear suspension and trailing arms work even better. I would get ur kit maker to fix ur situation cause if i paid 1000s of dollara and ur kit is that bad then u should be pissed.

Btw ur sway is a function of many things; springs, spring type, shock style, shock valving.kit design etc...Once you change one thing you will effect other aspects of your handling and performance. You are not going to solve this issue on the forum but in the field testing different combos with an expert.

·
Registered
12 Posts
tcb long travel

thats probably why no one knows what to do,i would have thought there were specific set-up recs from todd's when i purchased....seems crazy..btw, which kit do you have and which shocks..i may have to change my kit

1 - 20 of 25 Posts