Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to see where everyone ties there Commander down from, the rear does not have alot of good spots, and the front appears to have the bumper as the best but I'm not sure that is the best spot. Pics would be great.

·
Premium Member
2,765 Posts
I use single ended (no hooks) 2" wide rachet straps around the rear wheels. I then attach a strap in the rear winch reciever using the pin. Then a bar saver strap or two around the front bumper. Works well.

·
Registered
189 Posts
There's that 3-4" space with the bar running through it just below the winch I put the S hook in there in the front and I wrap the ratchet strap around the frame and hook the S hook to the strap in the rear. 2 ratchet straps in the front, 2 in the back

·
Registered
531 Posts
I used to use the "not hand holds" on the top part of the cage and the winch to an eye bolt. then bought tire ratchet straps and strapped one front and one rear tire on opposing sides. Worked great.

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
I used the winch for the front. I than and ran a big chain through the hitch and locked it in with the receiver pin. I then took the other end of the chain and hooked it to the bottom of the trailer.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I hook in above and in front of the rear shock and up and behind the front shock
Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
I second this set up. I haul in the pickup bed and these spots on the front are perfect for easy reaching. I also disagree with using emergency recovery equipment, "winch" to hold vehiclefor transport. The frames are already thin metal all they need is several thousand lbs of cable or line jerking around the town for several miles constantly jerking on the winch mount with every bump. The winch is absolutely not designed for towing or jerking around, only a smoth constant pull.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Here is What I use!

These E Tracks and tire straps are awesome to use.
I have them at opposing corners (Driver's side front and Passenger's side rear) on an Tandem Axel 82" X 14' Aluminum Flat Deck...Pulls Very Good!!
Only takes a couple of minutes to load the Commander and ratchet them down with the tire straps.

Have done two trips, one was over 3,000 miles return with the Commander and my Triumph Thunderbird and neither moved an inch.

Inexpensive and securely fastened!!..

Attachments

·
Registered
422 Posts
I only know some of the Alberta Canada laws here it is illegal to tie down with the winch some dealers being my brp and a good friend that runs the Yamaha dealership have told me the law is coming where you cannot tie down by suspension only so I use E track and wheel strap have travelled 13hrs still solid you can get wheel tie downs at Greeg Distributors here in AB

·
Registered
461 Posts
X2

X2
See post #10 in this thread for pictures of what i have done....Works like a charm!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Two eye bolts screwed in to floor of my trailer to the front and back of each tyre , then just put a ratchet strap over each tyre and tighten up , no pulling down on your suspension and it won't go any where

·
Premium Member
2,765 Posts
I used the winch for the front. I than and ran a big chain through the hitch and locked it in with the receiver pin. I then took the other end of the chain and hooked it to the bottom of the trailer.
Guys I would not use the winch as a tie down as it puts quite a load on the Internal clutch and it may fail on you prematurly.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I have 2 eye hooks screwed in right next to the front tires. I run a heavy duty ratchet strap to them from the 2" receiver in the rear. By tying it low like this the straps have less tendency to let the quad move. The front tires are up against the front of the trailer.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I use a 3" ratchet strap through the spokes of the front wheels, hooked to the pockets on each side of the trailer. In back two 1" ratchet straps from the hoops on the hitch to the rear of the trailer. Rock solid.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Securing on a trailer

On the LTD, I deflate the Fox Shocks to it's lowest setting.
I have a 1" double eye strap and pass it around 1" bar under the winch.
Then pass a ratchet strap through both eyes and secure to the trailer pad-eyes.
On the rear, I pass a strap around the trailer hitch and secure to trailer pad-eyes.
In any other state but Louisiana, this would hold it fine.
I use two other straps up front and two more in the back to make sure the Commander is a tight part of the trailer.
No whoopees or pot holes cause no movement.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I have found less is more.
One strap through the front toe / tie-down location just below the winch ( I now use a 2" ratchet strap / from Home Depot)
And
One strap wrapped one time around the hitch receiver square bar in about a foot. ( I now use a 1" ratchet strap for this)

See some old pictures below.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
I just picked up 4 of these nylon straps to use. They are rated at 1200 lbs. each and I can wrap them around the Commander and won't scratch the paint like the ratchet straps can. I haven't had a chance to try them yet. They cost me $12.50 so not a big investment.

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
i found the best way is using 3inch ratchets.. on a flat bed you run the strap from the front of the trailer underneath the commander and hook it to the reciever hitch with the hooks on the straps it hooks in really good. then run the strap from the back of the trailer to tie down spot in the front of the commander in the center. it wont move a inch.. i tried putting the the strap over a hitch in the back like posted earier i found when the suspention flexes and the strap losens or i lose it.. this way it cant losen or go any were

1 - 20 of 39 Posts