Can-Am Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for feed back from experience, not personal opinions based on hearsay.
Want to add some wheel base along with some track width to a 2013 Commander.
Any help from owners on what vendor offers the best kit, most reliable especialy in the Axle, CV joint department.
Any come set up to accept the Left rear brake caliper ?
Any installation isues, customer support etc. etc.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
On a commander your are limited to a catvos 4" or a SATV 6" I have ridden with the catvos 4" and their 6" lifted machines. The 6 has way too many issues with accelerated steering wear. I have ridden with this guy twice and he said he replaced the rack nearly every single ride. Now the Catvos 4" was indestructible and the axle angles were great. The 4" catvos is also a few inches narower than the SATV.

Now the 6" superatv is pretty new on the market and The owner had nothing but good things to say, I do know know him personally just meet on a ride which he said was his 3rd or 4th ride on the kit with no problems yet. There are not really enough of those out there to get a feel yet, but their trailing arm is very innovative with spherical bearing mount for allignment capability on the rear wheels. Note the front wheel width does end up about 3" wider than the rear when all said and done.

Catvos lets you choose turner or gorilla axles and kits are around $3600
Super atv comes with their rhino axles and is all inclusive at $1800

All in all the lifts are about the same money if you plan to toss the rhino axles and end up with the name brand axles at $400-$650 a piece. They willl sell the lift minus axles for I believe $1100.

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On a commander your are limited to a catvos 4" or a SATV 6" I have ridden with the catvos 4" and their 6" lifted machines. The 6 has way too many issues with accelerated steering wear. I have ridden with this guy twice and he said he replaced the rack nearly every single ride. Now the Catvos 4" was indestructible and the axle angles were great. The 4" catvos is also a few inches narower than the SATV.

Now the 6" superatv is pretty new on the market and The owner had nothing but good things to say, I do know know him personally just meet on a ride which he said was his 3rd or 4th ride on the kit with no problems yet. There are not really enough of those out there to get a feel yet, but their trailing arm is very innovative with spherical bearing mount for allignment capability on the rear wheels. Note the front wheel width does end up about 3" wider than the rear when all said and done.

Catvos lets you choose turner or gorilla axles and kits are around $3600
Super atv comes with their rhino axles and is all inclusive at $1800

All in all the lifts are about the same money if you plan to toss the rhino axles and end up with the name brand axles at $400-$650 a piece. They willl sell the lift minus axles for I believe $1100.
Thanks for the Comprehensive reply.
I also agree with your caviate on the Rhino axles.

·
Registered
12,884 Posts
There was a used long travel for sale on here a while ago and it will add more travel and should give a better ride . It will be wider so it will be more stable if your into drifting or power sliding . A lift kit is great for big mud tires and lots of mud but a long travel is for performance driving ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There was a used long travel for sale on here a while ago and it will add more travel and should give a better ride . It will be wider so it will be more stable if your into drifting or power sliding . A lift kit is great for big mud tires and lots of mud but a long travel is for performance driving ..

Should have been more clear, friend is looking at long travel kits, not just a lift.
Any ideas on who makes custom axles once length is determined, any long axles off the shelf ??

·
Registered
12,884 Posts
Summer brothers builds shafts that fit stock CV-joints

·
Registered
206 Posts
Any feedback on the rhino axles? i am thinking about ordering the Superatv 6'' kit.

RiKMiL- is your buddy still happy with the SuperATV?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Any feedback on the rhino axles? i am thinking about ordering the Superatv 6'' kit.

RiKMiL- is your buddy still happy with the SuperATV?

I have the newest version of the SATV 6" lift and it is one of the best things I have ever done. I have not changed my driving style one bit and we like to ride at a fast pace. The amount of width added over compensates for 6" lift. Axle angles are better with this lift than they were with 2.5" lift, forward arms and aftermarket shocks. With about 17" of GC I think I measured only 23* of axle angle.

I have managed to bend a trailing arm but, before SATV gets attacked I pretty much take responsibility as I hit a huge hole doing 45+mph and bottomed out so bad I felt it in my gut. Since the lift components have a no questions asked warranty for LIFE, I sent them an email with pictures and 3 days later I had replacement arm.

This lift has the best of both worlds, get longer arms front and rear (awesome ride) and get the lift to run up to a 36" tire. I run 30" Moto Claws and love the combo.

·
Registered
18 Posts
FL Commander...I have heard that SATV revamped the 6" lift because of issues with the first ones, mainly the axel problems. Supposedly, they tightened up the rear trailing arms for the axel issue and added some better front end parts...anyone else know any other info?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
FL Commander...I have heard that SATV revamped the 6" lift because of issues with the first ones, mainly the axel problems. Supposedly, they tightened up the rear trailing arms for the axel issue and added some better front end parts...anyone else know any other info?
Are you looking for something specific? I know there are 2-3 other guys on here running the new lift. I don't think we have had any issues. Let me know if you want to see or know something in particular; i'll send you some pics or answer whatever.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a fst long travel kit and I love it. They send you a complete kit of everything you need to bolt right on. It gives you 4" lift and +6" on each side wider. Comes with King shocks and rides like a dream ! I also have Summer's brothers axles and haven't had a problem yet

·
Registered
120 Posts
I only have 2 rides on my SuperATV 6'' lift but no problems yet. Rides great, wish I had done it sooner

·
Registered
18 Posts
FL Commander... Im looking at buying the SATV 6" lift soon and wanted to see who else was running it and how they liked it...pros and cons. So, far the newer lift seems to being doing well on every ones machine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Are you looking for something specific? I know there are 2-3 other guys on here running the new lift. I don't think we have had any issues. Let me know if you want to see or know something in particular; i'll send you some pics or answer whatever.
The SATV 6" specs says it ads +5" to each side. You are running 30" tires could you tell me what your widest measurement is. We have width restrictions here in NH. Thanks

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
FLCommander How wide is your completed Commander with the 6 inch kit?
Super wide... The front overall width is was 74-75" wide give or take. This was with the preload on the shocks at minimum(basically just putting tension on them). I think it might be a little down from that now; I added preload to the shocks since the last time I measured and added +/- 3 of lift. I'll go with probably 73-74" wide now.

If you have a 6x12 trailer with railing, its tight... I had to modify my trailer to get it on. The gate design on my trailer was 74".

·
Registered
33 Posts
FLCommander How wide is your completed Commander with the 6 inch kit?
Super wide... The front overall width is was 74-75" wide give or take. This was with the preload on the shocks at minimum(basically just putting tension on them). I think it might be a little down from that now; I added preload to the shocks since the last time I measured and added +/- 3 of lift. I'll go with probably 73-74" wide now.

If you have a 6x12 trailer with railing, its tight... I had to modify my trailer to get it on. The gate design on my trailer was 74".
That is what I was worried about. I am thinking about a 4 inch lift. Trying to keep the width down but not sacrifice handling. Our local trails are now finally recognizing 65 inch as a new standard. I do not want to push the envelope. Just tired of the same old Commander and looking to do an upgrade.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts