Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys so I finally got my mander fixed and back out and I've blown 4 belts so far in 145 miles. Doesn't seem to matter where or how I'm riding first one blew while in low gear slowly going down a gravel road at 10-15 mph second one was low aswell driving on grass third was driving 30+ mph on hardpack and just blew another in 4 miles on a pavement road. All belts have been gates c12 clutches have been taken off and cleaned each time went over with red scotchbrite secondary has a new bearing in it also new one way bearings. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
24,522 Posts
Take the cover off put a sharpie mark on the inner and outer Sheave straight across from each other . Then put it in 4wd take off with it flat on the floor 3 or 4 times get up to 20 ish mph then look to see if the marks are still lined up. If they are replace the springs and stop using the c12 belt. If they aren’t your clutch is not locking together. Uatv-tech.com can lock them.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It used to have a clutch lockup mod but the little ball on the outer sheave that lined up with the notch on the inner fell off

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm thinking about just buying a primary qsc is a little expensive how does the cvtech work.. would I need a aftermarket secondary aswell?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Look in some other threads. I can't remember which, but I think QSC primary, and STM secondary. Someone will pipe in.

·
Super Moderator
24,522 Posts
If it’s out of line you can look down from over the top of the belt and throttle it up just enough to engage the belt . It will show you any distortion immediately.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok thats what I have been doing it seems almost perfect .. if the primary is slipping does it really blow belts that fast in just a handful of miles

·
Super Moderator
24,522 Posts
Belts shred from over heating them. So if it’s slipping do to the half’s or bad springs they will overheat fast .

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think the springs should be fine after the first belt I changed them out for the dalton primary and secondary springs for 29 inch tires

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Haha possibly I'm gonna do the marks on the primary to see if its slipping I wonder if i could tack that ball back into place to have the lockup again

·
Super Moderator
24,522 Posts
Put ball back in then tap the edge with a nail pinch to squeeze the aluminum in on the ball. That should hold it in at least till you remove it again .

1 - 20 of 106 Posts