Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone routinely use a battery maintainer on their Commander?
if so, what brand and output?
Im thinking of installing one with a float mode and plug it in between uses.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
I use the battery tender brand. I don’t use it every time I park my machine. My battery is the stock battery that came with it in ‘13.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
23,443 Posts
No tender machine has sat for up to a yr and a half twice and working on third time now and it will still start every time I fire it up. Got a buddy that uses tenders in everything he owns and is always replacing battery’s.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I use a maintainer sparingly, smaller output for smaller batteries. By sparingly, I mean I'll put in on every once in a while, leave it on overnight or so, then disconnect it. The manufacturers say you can leave them on indefinitely, and I've read other members saying they do that, but I've seen them cook the life out of batteries when left on really long term.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I use battery tenders on my Commander, motorcycles (5 of them), zero-turn mower and farm tractor (with a big battery). They are plugged in all the time when the vehicle is not in use and I have never had a battery issue. Some have different results but I have yet to replace a battery in any of my vehicles. The oldest battery in one of my motorcycles is 15 years old. Most vehicles now a days are always drawing a small charger from the battery even when not running. If not used much over time the battery will discharge. A good quality, properly working maintenance charger will not overcharge the battery which would lead to cooking the battery. Again just my $.02, your results may vary.

·
Registered
543 Posts
the small 800 miliamp battery tenders work well but i also have had issues with over cooking a boat battery by leaving the tender plugged in .the smart part of the tender failed to stop charging ,i maintain all batterys like Cannedham does .the original commander battery lasted just shy of 8 years.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I follow golfcarts, routine. I keep all my stored toys, boats, mowers, cars, tractors.. etc on tenders all the time. Got tired of replacing batteries every spring.

Only downside is several years ago. Lightning was a near miss here at the house. Came thru and exploded the tender on my corvette. I mean it smoked that thing black and burnt. Blew up $3000 worth of modules in that car, thank goodness for insurance! So when it storms, I unplug everything as fast as I can.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I follow golfcarts, routine. I keep all my stored toys, boats, mowers, cars, tractors.. etc on tenders all the time. Got tired of replacing batteries every spring.
Same here on all the toys, I think I have 8 of them going, even 6volt on my old tractors. The harbor freight ones are junk, Fried my Studebaker battery. get the Battery tender ones.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts