Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 800R and replaced the battery today. It's giving me a high voltage limp home mode. Then it shuts off. I have had the battery checked 2 times. Any help would be great thanks.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Can you check the voltage at the battery while running? Should be roughly 13-14v. If it is higher than you probably need a voltage regulator.

If you need one I have an extra good used one that I bought prematurely, will make you a deal on it.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yep that's it then. Pm sent..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One more thing. When I turn all the lights on and the light bar then the high voltage message goes away.

·
Registered
125 Posts
probably because all the high draw is pulling to down below the lights threshold. The charging system itself is very simple, stator output AC voltage and the regulator drops it down to about 14 DC. That's all there is to it, so if battery is showing 18 volts the problem is with the regulator.

Reactions: cannedham

·
Registered
762 Posts
What wabbastang said. 18.6 is just too high. Did it cook your previous battery? Do you know if it has an aftermarket regulator on it now? (stick with oem replacement).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What wabbastang said. 18.6 is just too high. Did it cook your previous battery? Do you know if it has an aftermarket regulator on it now? (stick with oem replacement).
No the previous battery went bad due to just sitting. Then when I put the new battery on that’s when I started having problems.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts