Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone installed a sealed automotive battery in the under seat storage compartment on their Commander? I am not even sure if there is enough room. Also, is the machine electrical output sufficient to charge a larger battery?

thanks.

J

·
Registered
12,544 Posts
As long as you don't use more power than your stator can make you can have any second battery you want . I don't have a pic of my commander set up but I do have one of my mav and they fit the same way .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
790 Posts
What are you looking to use the second battery for? I have a second battery that runs my stereo (IPod to amp setup) and I can run stereo on 3 day run no problem and then I just charge it with a Battery Tender when I get home. It's not charged off of Commander at all so that way not over working stator.

·
Registered
199 Posts
How much power is the stator goodfor?

·
Registered
12,544 Posts
I have heard 625 watts and 650 so I'm not sure .

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
Might be better heads than mine but I believe that if you were to connect two together the stronger of the two would overpower and eventually cause some irrepairable damage.
Use of a switchable battery isolater is always the best choice.
That way you can run on one or the other, both are charged by the charging system and if in a bind you can use both for booster application, just not good to run together for long periods.
Someone else can chime in hear as well.

·
Registered
12,544 Posts
There we go 625 watts .
And I have been running dual battery since 1996 on my dirt toys and having two battery's of different size has not give me any grief .
We need all the battery power because of all the winching we do.
Your winch is only as good as your battery supply

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
23,050 Posts
Battery size is not really a issue but you don't want to run two different cold cracking amp batteries. If you have say one with 650 cca and one 850 sooner or later the 850 will short the 650 out. If you do a lot of winching. And if your lucky it won't explode.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
See there's a better Head !
Using info from boating industry where multiple battery's are common, and when one goes bad and is replaced with a new one the new one draws down to the power of the battery's it is mated with to match them or it.
According to Exide and Interstate.

·
Registered
12,544 Posts
Guess I'm lucky then as I have put on over a 100 000 miles this way on all the quads I had and sxs .

·
Registered
422 Posts
This might be dumb but why couldn't you put a set of diodes on the second battery like they used to do in the old camper special pickups back in the 70s and 80s

·
Super Moderator
23,050 Posts
Troy it may be a issue of the winch size. And the slower low watt charging. We were running 10k+ with 147 amp at idle 230 at 1500 rpm.

·
Registered
12,544 Posts
I have 3500 and 4000 lb winches . But when I added the second battery the first stock one was new. Not half used up .

·
Registered
12,544 Posts
Maybe as I had over a dozen quads and no blown battery's . What every size of space I found someplace that's the size of second battery it got , plus a new stock size

·
Super Moderator
23,050 Posts
Of course a 52 amp charger is a trickle charge compared to 230 amp, lol

·
Registered
12,544 Posts
Yup

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any recommendations on the size of battery to replace the stock
Battery. I have a 2012 commander 1000 Ltd with the fox air shocks so there is no room under the driver seat and the current location under the steering colum is too cluttered. I was thinking about relocating the battery location with a larger lawn mower or car battery and build an enclosure to mount on top of the center console between the seats ina battery box. Does anyone See an issue with doing this ?

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Any recommendations on the size of battery to replace the stock
Battery. I have a 2012 commander 1000 Ltd with the fox air shocks so there is no room under the driver seat and the current location under the steering colum is too cluttered. I was thinking about relocating the battery location with a larger lawn mower or car battery and build an enclosure to mount on top of the center console between the seats ina battery box. Does anyone See an issue with doing this ?
I installed an oem size second battery up beside the glovebox with a factory cage. Works great !

1 - 20 of 20 Posts