Can-Am Commander Forum banner

Are you asking Can Am to add a manually selectable front diff lock?

• Yes

Votes: 88 89.8%
  • Don't care

Votes: 10 10.2%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now we know that GKN is the manufacturer of Can Am's Visco Lok front diff. We also know that GKN has already developed selectable diff lock technology that can be added to any of their diff units (including the Visco Lok).

Are YOU asking Can Am to add a manually selectable front diff locker?

If you want a selectable front diff lock then please vote yes at the poll AND contact Can Am directly either at the link below or by phone and ask them to add a manually selectable front diff locker!!!

My Can-Am Product Idea | Can-Am USA
or call the Can Am offices at: U.S.A.: (715) 848-4957
Canada: (819) 566-3366

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Im in...

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Hell of a better idea, and we thought we had to pay $1000 doll hairs lol. Now if all goes well we will just have to buy new utvs... As long as it comes in something we should be able to purchase through BRP thats the main objective.

·
Registered
304 Posts
So this technology would allow me to upgrade my current visco-lok diff in my 2012 commander?? Or is this to get them to add this to future productions of UTVs? A little confused and wanted to clear it up if someone can chime in. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
282 Posts
X Infintiy! On having a lockable diff. I don't care either way! Buy a new one or add it to my 2012 I want one!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Maybe ask GKN what can be done to help our existing stuff like how to speed up engagement, more than likely they will discourage taking it apart but you never know they could share some info.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
One of the thing's I miss coming from a Yamaha Grizzly!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Now we know that GKN is the manufacturer of Can Am's Visco Lok front diff. We also know that GKN has already developed selectable diff lock technology that can be added to any of their diff units (including the Visco Lok).

Are YOU asking Can Am to add a manually selectable front diff locker?

If you want a selectable front diff lock then please vote yes at the poll AND contact Can Am directly either at the link below or by phone and ask them to add a manually selectable front diff locker!!!

My Can-Am Product Idea | Can-Am USA
or call the Can Am offices at: U.S.A.: (715) 848-4957
Canada: (819) 566-3366
guys i am the 1 who spoke with rob hayden at gkn personally! i was on the phone with him for 25-30 mins. this is the last time im repeating this story, he told me that a few years back can am indeed inquired about a locker. but never pulled the trigger, and he told me they made a computer model of the locker that basically boils down to working on paper! that they proposed to can am, again brp never pulled the trigger. i asked if theyr locker could be added to theyr visco! he said no ! that they were 2 diffrent technologies. everything in this post above from MNH is 100% true. only thing i disagree with is that i eas told by rob! that u cannot integrate the visco to a locker that exist now. but they already have designed a locker for brp, they just need to make the part.. so click on the links and lets turn brp world upside down!!!!

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Just finished! In my opinion if it's not compatible (according to BRP) then make a hole new setup and quit beating around the bush.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I think the most important thing is for brp to address the fact that most of us that already own commanders are not going to trade them in just because of an electronic locking front end. They need to put the electronic locking front end into production and also offer it as an upgrade that could be purchased from dealers at a REASONABLE cost. I was about to spend $1,200 on the QE when this information started going around. I also spoke with the company that makes the visco and I will be waiting for brp to step up. I also will not buy another brp product without a locking front end. Three wheel drive sucks, plain and simple. I love that new maverick but no locker no purchase. So brp if your listening do it!

·
Registered
304 Posts
I think the most important thing is for brp to address the fact that most of us that already own commanders are not going to trade them in just because of an electronic locking front end. They need to put the electronic locking front end into production and also offer it as an upgrade that could be purchased from dealers at a REASONABLE cost. I was about to spend $1,200 on the QE when this information started going around. I also spoke with the company that makes the visco and I will be waiting for brp to step up. I also will not buy another brp product without a locking front end. Three wheel drive sucks, plain and simple. I love that new maverick but no locker no purchase. So brp if your listening do it!
Well said!!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
392 Posts
Each is own I love the visco lock and im not alone, most people who run in the snow think it is the best on the market.

Polaris sytem on pack snow is one of the worst at hight speed it is very hard to control and alway go in s

·
Registered
175 Posts
i just wish they would give the option from the dealer. I mean i would pay additional money for one when i went to by my 2012 model.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I love visco as well. Just need to get used to it and know how to make it work.

I'm not saying you guys don't know I'm just saying in general.

Tapatalk using iPad.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I own a Yamaha rhino and at low speed trails crossing rocks and logs, ruts it will walk all over a commander. I like everything else about the commander. If can-am fixes this last weak spot I'll buy a commander or maverick ASAP

·
Registered
304 Posts
I own a Yamaha rhino and at low speed trails crossing rocks and logs, ruts it will walk all over a commander. I like everything else about the commander. If can-am fixes this last weak spot I'll buy a commander or maverick ASAP
I have a yamaha grizzly anf it has same diff lock as the rhino. It is badass to be able to know if your front 2 wheels are going to spin or not lol. It has surely saved my ass a few times!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
You got my vote, heck even my 1999 Grizzly 600 has one on it and our Honda 500 Formen has one also

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
For the guys saying they like/love the Visco Lok just fine, just remember that there is no reason whatsoever that a front locker can't be added to the Visco Lok diff. The manufacturer explicitly states that a selectable locker CAN in fact be added to the Visco Lok. So, no one is necessarily talking about replacing the Visco Lok. We are talking about adding a selectable locker to it, and it is already clear this can be done in short order!!!

All it will take is Can Am's request to the manufacturer. So, steer your Commander (or other SxS) pals here and get them to vote if it would make a difference to them!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts