Can-Am Commander Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
My '21 max XT rattles. I hole sawed 1 1/4 inch hole in skid plate under slip yoke of drive shaft. I drilled and tapped 6mm hole for set screw. Every few rides I pull the set screw and insert zirk fitting and pump marine grease in it and reinstall the set screw. Helps for a bit but rattle comes back. In 4wd it almost eliminates the rattle if you don't mind running 4WD all the time. I do have a solid carrier bearing mount but have not installed it yet. I have read the carrier bearing helps alot if not eliminates the rattle.
I read that about the solid bearing,I'm just wondering if theres a reason thw factory didn't put one in like it may create other issues like stress on other things!?

·
Administrator
27,517 Posts
I think it's cost savings but I may be wrong. I wonder long term effects too.
No long term effect that I have ran across. 2017 x3 10k miles 8000 on the solid bearing. Factory bearings only lasted 1000. Just replaced ujoints at 10k. And that was preventive maintenance. Have replaced everything but the motor on the machine but all do to normal failures. Thing that just go bad / wear out do to heavy foot and bigger tires. You are reducing vibration in the dribe line. No vibration has to be better than having a vibration that will beat bearings apart .

And yes it's cost. They take short cuts everywhere they can.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

21 - 24 of 24 Posts