Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I’ll give y’all the rundown... then I’d preciate yalls opinions. Got a 2011 Commander 1000xt, bought it used last yr, been goin thru n jus replacing normal wear n tear stuff (brakes, bearings, etc). Changed my oils for the third time last week, afterwards I noticed a weird roaring n felt vibration from floorboard. Narrowed it down to rear diff so I pulled the diff and sure enough had a bad bearing, ring n pinion looked good tho. Installed new bearing n seal kit (not all ballz) put all back like it was n roaring was worse. After research I was told I’d need to reshim which would be $300. Ok here’s where y’all come in... I still have the old 411 rear, can’t quite justify the Mav swap since I don’t ride super aggressive anymore, AND I called dealer to price diff and he said there were 2 different diffs n 2011, the 411 n 506, however BOTH of those p#s are superseded now to the same #... so is there a newer version out now for the 2011’s r what?

·
Super Moderator
23,673 Posts
Yes the newer diff is a upgraded diff. It has helical cut gears instead of straight cut. Which is what they went to in 14. But 14 and 15 diff won’t fit the 11/13 model. 16 and up is the direct replacement drop in. If your dealer likes you you can get the new diff for around 650.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, he quoted me $685. My old 411 wasn’t wat I’d call noisy and I reckon did pretty good to last long as it did... is the new one decent far as noise and reliability?

·
Super Moderator
23,673 Posts
Yes the newer diff is a huge improvement. The helical cut was done to combat the noise. It just took till 16 to get it right . So there was no upgrade for the 11/13 till 2016.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’ll have to check bak n see, I jus know he told me 2011 had 2 different part #’s a while back n now both were superseded to a newer same part #.

·
Super Moderator
23,673 Posts
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

That’s what ya need less the slasher front axle . Unless that Diff part# has been replaced with new number .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, dealership was closed yest, this is the P# they gave me this morn for rear diff. 705501896. So wat can anyone tell me bout it?

·
Registered
12,684 Posts
Things should be rolling in no time then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, SO is this a newer/better option for the 2011’s or jus another quad diff that won’t hold up? That’s wat I wanna find out before I pull the trigger n spend $685. I don’t want a bandaid, I want a FIX... ya know wat I mean?!

·
Super Moderator
23,673 Posts
All diffs go out eventually. This diff is far better than the original diff. But yes it’s still a quad diff do to it’s size . So you can spend 685 for another quad diff or 1500 for a mav diff. That is more on the lines of a sxs diff. But have seen them blow up as well. But definitely not as common as the quad diff.

·
Super Moderator
23,673 Posts
The 11/13 diff was just from the factory do to incorrect setup. Most were bad rolling off the show room floor. So it wasn’t actually the diffs fault it was the builders fault for not properly setting it up. I have a 13 model with 4600 miles on it and no issues to date or noise. So they wasn’t all bad.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Maverick diff that rig and never look back!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, SO is this a newer/better option for the 2011’s or jus another quad diff that won’t hold up? That’s wat I wanna find out before I pull the trigger n spend $685. I don’t want a bandaid, I want a FIX... ya know wat I mean?!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And much as I’d like to I can’t spare the $1500 for the Mav setup w baseball season coming n 2 boys, both playin school n travel ball, and the wifey wantin to go to Disney World this yr!🙄 I tried to tell her nothing changes enough to warrant goin every 2-3 yrs but she jus don’t git it!😂

1 - 19 of 19 Posts