Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. 2012 LTD, ACS worked fine until this fall. I noticed while airing up some tires that there was a lot of moisture coming from the air chuck and the compressor sounded terrible while running. Turns out the intake hose for the compressor got too close to the exhaust and melted, opening up a huge hole downstream of the filter. I only realized this after backing the Commander into the lake to pull the Seadoos out for the winter. That explains where the moisture was coming from. Now the compressor will not run. I pulled it out and tore it apart on the bench, cleaned up the armature, oiled it all and replaced it. The 60A fuse is good, battery is good. I wired the compressor directly to 12V and still got nothing. When the compressor is bolted into the machine, with the key turned on I can hear and feel some clicking in the compressor but it won't run. My question is, does the compressor need to sense a signal to kick on or should it run off a battery on the bench.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
I believe someone spec’d the air ride compressor from ~’08 or 09 Kia borrego as being the same one that can am uses. You’ll have to look at some pics but I think it was considerably cheaper

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, looks like I'll be ordering a new compressor. Amazon has several options, but you're right, the one for the Kia has the same orientation.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got the new compressor installed, with the key ON I can hear and feel some movement from the compressor (relay or solenoid moving) but with the engine running the compressor does nothing, and the AIR FAULT appears on the dash. Do I need to visit the dealer to get the code cleared before the compressor will run? Oh, and when I powered the unit on the bench out of the box it wouldn't run either.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My bad, alligator clip connection was bad, compressor does run on the bench. Will not run when bolted into the machine though, what to check next- relay and module? Switch cycles between 1-6 but doesn't activate the compressor, then after a minute of idling, air fault dances across the dash.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I believe the error message is cleared by the next cycling of the ignition switch. Do you have the service manual? Ace has posted it a few times here. There's a whole section on the ACS in the "chassis" section. If you can't find it or he doesn't see this and re-post it, I'll upload some pages for you later. I can't upload the whole manual myself (file too big). I think he's actually been posting a link to it. Just post back as to whether or not you can get it, so I'll know whether or not to pull pages.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After several attempts at troubleshooting the electrical system and not finding anything obvious, I removed the solenoid valve and cleaned it and blew some air through the six ports, reassembled it and voila, the ACS worked. Hopefully it's not packed full of sand and rust from the water ingestion and won't give me headaches in the future.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Turns out I was a little premature celebrating my win. The air compressor runs, lifts the shocks just fine, BUT, the shocks rise all the way up to level 6 even when I set the switch to 1, the compressor doesn't shut off. Seems like a pressure sensor isn't signalling the compressor. Is this the module acting up now?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts