Can-Am Commander Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone using any of the aftermarket air filters available online from Amazon or eBay?
There are plenty available out there at about half the price of OEM, but I wouldn't want to pull the trigger on any of them without some positive feedback on them.

·
Administrator
27,588 Posts
Yes it's a wise investment. But will it installed I wouldn't be afraid to try the cheaper filters. Just ride and watch it. If the post filter is getting dirty faster try different brand. If it's staying clean longer then you found a good cheaper alternative.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Before I do extensive searching, as initial search is fruitless, can I get some direction on air filter for a Gen2. OEM is a large slip-on open one ended cylinder. I was thinking of using a foam or media pre-filter. I have not seen a "post" filter, I searched the older number I found in an old thread, but probably not applicable. ????

·
Administrator
27,588 Posts
Before I do extensive searching, as initial search is fruitless, can I get some direction on air filter for a Gen2. OEM is a large slip-on open one ended cylinder. I was thinking of using a foam or media pre-filter. I have not seen a "post" filter, I searched the older number I found in an old thread, but probably not applicable. ????
The filter we are referring to doesn't fit the the new models. Old school had square airbox with flat filter.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The filter we are referring to doesn't fit the the new models. Old school had square airbox with flat filter.
Kinda expected that, you saved me some searching, thx. That is why I was thinking about pre-filter for some bulk items, but the outer screen seems to pretty much take care of that. The air filter setup on this car was a good buying point for me!

·
Administrator
27,588 Posts
Need to check your air box. If the inner side of the box has two rings a outer to hold the factory filter and a smaller ring in middle. You sgoukd be able to find a inner filter to fit the inside of the filter. X3 only comes with one but we are running a inner as well. When inner starts showing dust it's time to replace the outer.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ok I will look at this closer, thx. I was wrong in earlier statement, as I confused the screen for the CVT intake side (pre-filter). There is a baffle in the throat of intake and the big filter to be replaced but I will look at manual for any other intake details. The air filter is one of the biggest I have personally seen for a UTV. It is about 5" in diameter and about 13" long with a solid caped end. It is well baffled from direct road air.

·
Administrator
27,588 Posts
Ok I will look at this closer, thx. I was wrong in earlier statement, as I confused the screen for the CVT intake side (pre-filter). There is a baffle in the throat of intake and the big filter to be replaced but I will look at manual for any other intake details. The air filter is one of the biggest I have personally seen for a UTV. It is about 5" in diameter and about 13" long with a solid caped end. It is well baffled from direct road air.
That's close to the same size as the x3. It's actually a pain to get the outer in and out do to the rear fender being so close . But it's even worse if you use the inner as well. You have to roll it around in circles to dislodge the inner filter from the seat. Once it pops off then you can get enough angle to get it out. X3 only has the frog skin material in the top of the air intake behind the seat.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just checked and it is the same air filter as the X3. However on this 2021, it is really easy to access with the little outer door knob and reach right in and unsnap the end cover latches and filter pulls right out. And no ducts running thru water levels! and minimal joints in system and none you can't see to worry about! Love the engineering design, appears they learned a lot of lessons from previous models and other cars. Maybe they even read forums......

Reactions: acefire

·
Administrator
27,588 Posts
They do watch the forums. The 17 x3 has a twist lock cap. The 21 x3 has the latches as well. So much easier to remove both filters compared to the 17 model.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts