Can-Am Commander Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 15 yrs and 3 ATV’s, I’m ready to graduate to a SxS. If money wasn’t an issue I would go for a new pioneer 1000, but realistically Im thinking used Commander 1000.
Im looking for honest advice and opinions. What should I look for, what should I be aware of? What should I avoid? What should I ask the seller.
I’ll be riding 12 months of the year in Atlantic Canada, so lots of mud, water, dust and snow….
Thanks!!

·
Administrator
26,912 Posts
Well you are already settling for something other than a pioneer. All sxs have there own issues. So the newer it is with least amount of miles will be much better. Everry other yr or so is a upgrade yr. So they try to fix previous ye model issues. And never buy the first yr of a new model.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
140 Posts
For me the Commander is a good go between play and utility. Also size wise, it’s smaller than a Defender thus allowing for it to be more nimble accessing narrower trails which for me was important.

The Commander is a nice machine with lots of power and I’m sure it will more than meet your needs. The biggest cons are the fact they are noisy and can get hot in the cabin area due to the fact the engine placement is in the middle. The newer models have been redesigned with the motors now in the rear. Another comparable to the Commander would be the Polaris General. I am not advocating for either it really just comes down to personal preference. I have a 13 Can Am Commander Limited and don’t plan on getting rid of it any time soon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For me the Commander is a good go between play and utility. Also size wise, it’s smaller than a Defender thus allowing for it to be more nimble accessing narrower trails which for me was important.

The Commander is a nice machine with lots of power and I’m sure it will more than meet your needs. The biggest cons are the fact they are noisy and can get hot in the cabin area due to the fact the engine placement is in the middle. The newer models have been redesigned with the motors now in the rear. Another comparable to the Commander would be the Polaris General. I am not advocating for either it really just comes down to personal preference. I have a 13 Can Am Commander Limited and don’t plan on getting rid of it any time soon.
the Heat in the cabin might be a good thing for 2/3 of the year LOL.
what year did the engine move?
Any particular years to avoid the commander?
Any particular gremlins that commanders are known for or significant recall?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts