Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am installing a Boss Audio MCBK420B MCBK420B | Boss Audio Systems
I want to wire the power into one of the ignition wires that is hot when the key is in ACC...
Here is where i am..
I found a brown and white wire that comes off the back of the ignition, it is hot when the key is in ACC position.
I found a "not in use" aux plug that is only hot when the key is in the ON position....just like the cigarette lighter plug right next to it.
My goal is to have the AMP turn on in the ACC position, the power cable to the AMP has a 7.5amp inline fuse.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The commanders have a few ignition switched wires in various spots for both factory accessories (GPS, radio etc) and later add-ons. They are all on 15 amp fuses, but should be RED wires with various color tracers. The smaller one near the ignition switch/lighter plug is on the 15a lighter fuse (it's the factory GPS plug-in spot), the others behind the switch panel are on a separate 15a "accessory" fuse. There's a two-terminal weatherpak connector behind the center switch panel that is a common spot to pull from and is on the "accessory" fuse, but either one will work fine for an amp turn-on.

There is a brown (beige)/white wire from at the ignition switch but IIRC that is constant power going to the cluster; either way I'd avoid that one and try and find one of the red accessory wires.

·
Registered
766 Posts
When did they put in a switch with accessory position? Or is this a Defender?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Oh yeah that was my first thought and forgot to ask the question, got sidetracked - is this a commander or defender? The brown wire and talk of acc sounds like this is a defender.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry all, it is a defender. I think i am going to take the easy route and mount the power to the red switched post on the BUS and the ground to the black post on the BUS.
I don't see a huge advantage to wiring to a wire that is only hot in ACC ...unless someone here knows the total draw of ACC vs ON. i just figured i would drain my battery slower listening to the speakers in ACC vs ON.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Any wire hot in ACC will probably also be energized in ON, so if that's the case and you use an acc wire, you're good either way. That's probably the smart way to do it rather than using an ON only wire. Not sure how those are wired, but could be that things like an ignition coils are hot full time in ON which will kill it quick if left that way.

If I remember right, that brown wire you found is the one to use, but you might try posting in the defender forum :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, i think you are probably correct...if it is hot in ACC it is prob hot in ON.
Do you think ON draws that much more power than ACC? Wiring to the BUS would be super easy...

·
Registered
125 Posts
What year is it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts