Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was out last night and buried my machine, winched myself out and then my dash light started flashing and didn't seem to have any battery power and finally the engine quit, my machine is a 13 and it has the original battery, do you guys think that I used too much power winching or there is another problem?

·
Super Moderator
23,404 Posts
Used more power than the stator could keep up with. Charge it back up should be fine.

·
Registered
72 Posts
So it was running and then you lost battery power? When you were stuck you may have caused a short that is draining your battery. Was it running while you were winching. Maybe try disconnecting the winch and see if you hold a charge.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it was fine until last night the wife and I decided to go for a little ride though the bush, got through it and it starts flashing check DPS and the check engine light came on, we decided to bring the road home and was back to normal when we got home, I'm wondering if the battery may be getting shot, anybody else have experienced this.

·
Super Moderator
23,404 Posts
Take battery to auto shop and have it tested . Unplug the dps grease plugs and hook back up. Dps tends to lose its contact in the plugs from time to time the grease normally fixes it. It will scroll dps and engine light when it happens .

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, not to sound like too much of a dummy here but, where do I unplug the DPS?

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Driver side fender well find box above rack and pinion will have wires coming out plugs should be in view.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, took the battery to a shop, the guy told me it was fine and that the battery just needs charged, brought home charged it, was good for a week or so, went out tonight, won't start, would this be my battery not taking a charge or something else, keep in mind that the battery is 6 years old.

·
Super Moderator
23,404 Posts
If it’s 6 yrs old you got your money’s worth. But when you put the new battery in hook ground up then put test light between the hot post and cable and see if it lights up with key in off position. If it does you got something pulling the battery down when parked . At that point you need to start unplugging all accessories one at a time till the light goes out then leave that one unhooked and start hooking the others back up and make sure light stays off. You could possibly have more than one issue . If light isn’t on then it’s probably the battery .

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
If it’s 6 yrs old you got your money’s worth. But when you put the new battery in hook ground up then put rear light between the hot post and cable and see if it lights up with key in off position. If it does you got something pulling the battery down when parked . At that point you need to start unplugging all accessories one at a time till the light goes out then leave that one unhooked and start hooking the others back up and make sure light stays off. You could possibly have more than one issue . If light isn’t on then it’s probably the battery .
What is this rear light you speak of? My proctologist just uses a coal miners headlamp. Is this similar? Asking for a friend. Thanks. Boogerhead.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, Put a new battery in, hooked in a test light, no lights came on, I guess now if it goes dead it must be the stator, now for my next problem, jacked the rear end up, have a little play in the passenger rear wheel, must have a wheel bearing going.

·
Super Moderator
23,404 Posts
You might try getting a cheap volt gauge so you can see what its reading while driving . It should read 12.8 or higher at all times if it’s charging correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, it went dead again, so battery is out, talked to a dealer about it, he said that it could be other things but stator would be the worst any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 30 Posts