Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Just wanted to get everyone's thoughts about the commander 800xt vs 1000xt. Biggest would be the power and speed. Using it for yard work and pulling in pier and Shorestation in the fall. Also some rail riding. Need 4,500 pound winch for sure. What would you guys buy?? Thank you

·
Super Moderator
23,432 Posts
Not much difference in power or speed till you hit 50 mph then the 1000 starts to shine . They both run same top end speed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I was told the 1000 xt has much more power and i would tell the difference. What's the top end speed of both machines?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
When I bought my '14 new, I debated on the 800 vs 1000 problem.

73 MPH vs 76 MPH, and 15 HP more for just over 3k USD.

Decided that if I need to go faster I'd get a Maverick.

-Kris

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I have a 1000xt and my daughter and son in law have an 800. Personally I don't think there is any real difference for 90% of riding but then I don't go for speed. The one upgrade I would definitely spend the money on is from base to XT.

Steve

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will be plowing snow with it which is the reason I ask about power. I really appreciate everyone's comments. Thanks

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I will be plowing snow with it which is the reason I ask about power. I really appreciate everyone's comments. Thanks
I push snow with my 800. It is not lacking in power at all, and I've plowed the streets in my neighborhood.

-Kris

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a 1000xt and my daughter and son in law have an 800. Personally I don't think there is any real difference for 90% of riding but then I don't go for speed. The one upgrade I would definitely spend the money on is from base to XT.

Steve

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Hi Steve
How is the commander DPS different then the xt? I heard the only different was front bumper, bed rails, mud guards, winch and gauge cluster.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You mention to upgrade to an xt. What is the difference between the Commander DPS and xt. I heard the only difference was the xt has 4,500 winch, front bumper, bed rails, mud guards and a different gauge cluster. Beside these features DPS and xt are exactly the same. Is this correct?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
You mention to upgrade to an xt. What is the difference between the Commander DPS and xt. I heard the only difference was the xt has 4,500 winch, front bumper, bed rails, mud guards and a different gauge cluster. Beside these features DPS and xt are exactly the same. Is this correct?
You are correct. That is the main differences. I personally like the bigger gauge cluster and the mud guards. (the stock ones are a PITA to add later) There MAY be a slight difference in the suspension too. I am not sure about that and I'm sure someone will chime in and correct me. I just think the 'extras' with the XT package are worth the price but 'Your Mileage May Vary'....lol. Most of it is just aesthetics.

Steve

·
Super Moderator
23,432 Posts
Suspension is same on dps and xt. The fenders and bed are not made for the flares . So yes pain if you want the flares later.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
And upgraded wheels.

-Kris

·
Registered
160 Posts
And upgraded wheels.

-Kris
Definitely easier and cheaper to get it all right at first. If I were to buy a new one, would probably be an XTP.

Mike

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm in the same boat as Wincon, 800 or 1000. I'm looking to buy in the next few weeks, definitely an XT. What you get with the XT over a DPS is well worth the money in my opinion. I'm just having a hard time justifying $2400 for a 92 hp 1000 over a 71 hp 800 when it seems everyone says they're about the same until after 50/55 mph. The only other differences pointed out to me between the 800 and 1000 by the salesman I was with were the 800 does not have the dual CVT breathers but does have under the seat storage on the drivers side. I'd think you could get some pretty decent power, better sound and weight reduction out of the 800 with half that $2400 it would cost to get a 1000. Anyone able to find definitive numbers on what an exhaust and tune would get an 800? Yoshi exhausts are looking to be $400-700 and a tune or tuner can't be but $400-500.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts