Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was out riding and the radiator stopped up making my machine over heat...before I could get it out to a place where someone could tow me out I started smelling a strong oil smell and then my motor seized up ..I am wondering if anyone knows how much a new motor for one of these are....It was a costly mistake on my part but was getting dark and was trying to get to safe spot...thanks for any help

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
The last cost I saw on a crate motor was like $3500 from a dealer… Your best bet is going to be to find one out of a total vehicle or tear down and rebuild yourself

Might I ask and excuse me if I'm being nosy, but was beer involved?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know it depends on the extent of the damage to my motor but do know how much a rebuild would be around

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
I don't profess to be a rotax rebuild guru, but overheat damage is pretty much a full rebuild. I'm thinking (complete guess) your in the $1,00-$2,500 range.

·
Super Moderator
23,509 Posts
If the pistons seized not to costly but if crank bearings seized that's the costly end. Have you checked today to see if it's still locked up. Try to start it and see if it will. And whether it knocks or not. Don't run it long if it starts. Just enough to get a idea as to what seized last nite.

==================

Learn from my mistakes it's cheaper on your wallet!!!

I have done so much for so long with so little I am now qualified to do everything with nothing!!!

This is for everyone out there in Commander Land. You don't have to hang with the big dogs you just have to watch them play!!!

Poor men have poor ways!!!

When in doubt gas it you got to make it or break it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have a complete 1000 top end from pistons up to cams if that helps. So, pistons, cams, heads, valves....everything. Around 50hrs on them. I converted to mav parts. Just make sure everything fits.

·
Super Moderator
23,509 Posts
Check your oil filter see how much metal is in it and if the metal is dark in color or light or both.

==================

I have done so much for so long with so little I am now qualified to do everything with nothing!!!

This is for everyone out there in Commander Land. You don't have to hang with the big dogs you just have to watch them play!!!

·
Registered
370 Posts
I sell brand new crank & rods, assembled, for $600.
Also a complete jug kit, comes with new jugs, pistons, rings, pins, head & base gaskets, $400.

If you decide to turn your crank, I sell undersized main bearings, $125. a set.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Why did you not stop and let it cool down. Mine has overheated before but when it did I stopped and took some water bottles and cleaned some of the mud out

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
sorry i havent posted...the updated of my ride.it did go into limp home mode....to answer your question yes beer and hill water was involved plus a big mud hole..yes i let it cool off and tried cleaning the radiator as best i could in the creek but when it happened i was trying to go up a hill to get out of the woods that was kinda steep not to mention i lost the resivior cap but put on a temp fix....I ended up leaving it till the next morning...went back in the woods and started it just to see what it would do...the reason it wouldnt start was i was not fully into the park position..it started up just fine no smoking but i shut it right down and pulled it out of the woods...after I got home and washed the concrete mud out of the radiator....I checked my oil and in was full and clean looking with no burnt smell...I filled the radiator up and the overflow with some fluid and started it up....There is no knocking or smoke..the engine runs like it always has but still is not cooling i am suspecting i have an air lock in the line keeping the fluid from passing through the motor...I am going to tear into it this weeked

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
mine went into over heat mode when i was climbing a hill...i had just got out of a water hole a few mins before and i had turned my fan off....and boom limp mode...i looked down and cut the fan on and it went away a few seconds later..i got to the top and down the road for a few mins and cut it off...anyone run theirs in limp mode for a while or do they normally just cut it off once it goes in limp mode,,,i guess what im asking is if it goes to limp mode is it ok to keep riding to get to a safe place a few miles down the road

·
Super Moderator
23,509 Posts
If it got really hot it may have whopper jawed the thermostat and it it did. It will run hot until you change it out. Rhinos do it all the time with out getting hot.

==================

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
it didnt go back in limp mode all night and i rode till 230 in the morning it prob happened at around 12 that night. i usually run the fan alot since we do slow trail riding and mud...i just forgot to turn it back to normal...as soon as it went to limp mode i looked down and turned the fan on..and it limp mode went away in a few seconds..i dont have a temp guage on mine..wish i did.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
if the thermostat is messed up will it go to limp mode or does it bypass all that and just run hot and blow the motor and not even go into limp mode first

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would also like to know exactly how limp mode works..i know it cuts the power down and i rode mine in limp mode because i couldnt get the mud out of radiator...i thought my motor siezed but obviously it hasnt...if anyone can explain limp mode other than it meaning get your tail out of the woods...it would greatly be appreciated...mine would cool down but once hot again it went straight to limp mode..

·
Super Moderator
23,509 Posts
Limp mode cut rpms back and only allows you to go like 5 mph. If the thermostat sticks open it will over heat do to the water not cooling off in radiator do to it free flowing bad to the engine but it will put you in limp to its down on temp.

==================

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
well that answered my question..i was worried that if the thermostat went bad or stuck open that it wouldnt push you into limp mode before blowing the motor,..if i read right you said it would push you into limp mode once it got hot again...i got mine to cool off and rode longer and i didnt go back into limp mode..so hopefully i didnt mess anything up too bad..i couldnt stop when limp mode occurred.

·
Super Moderator
23,509 Posts
If it gets hot for any reason which I think it's 235 or 40 can't remember right off it goes into limp home mode until you get it cooled down below where it kicks in.

==================

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update on my findings....we pulled the radiator and thoroughly cleaned it as it was still half clogged...after doing so it was reinstalled and the system was bled with antifreeze and we started the motor...Motor still sounded great no knocks or pings...noticed the bike was still running hot at idle...temp would climb to 6 bars and would hold there..when we revved it the temp would drop all the way to 1 bar and only climb to 3 bars while revved...always at idle it would climb back up with fan kicking on just before five bars...I reached down and noticed one side of radiator was cold while other side was hot, then i reached back to the thermostat and felt that one side was hot and the other cool...figure the thermostat is not opening fully to allow enough coolant to flow through at idle...have one on order as well as the washer that goes in the rear housing..i have now installed the hayden adjustable fan relay so I can controll when the fan comes on..alsoi am installing a digital temp guage, oil pressure and volt meter just to help keep an eye on things better...After i recieve the new thermostat i will post new results.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Glad to here your getting off easy. These are very durable motors to an extent. You may want to change your oil sooner than the normal time as well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts