Can-Am Commander Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was coming up out of a hole the other day in 4wd and something in the front drive made a noise I've never heard before...it was almost like a grinding sound but not quite. I tried to replicate the noise and noticed that it only did it when I got it in a slight bind. I also noticed that the front left wheel wasn't spinning as it was pulling. In a normal pull in 4wd everything seems to work just fine, just seems to do it when at a certain angle when pressure is put on it. Has anyone else experienced this? Any help would be appreciated.

2019 Commander 800R XT

· Registered
268 Posts
I've experienced this once when stuck in a mud hole with the left front wheel stuck on the side of the mud hole bank. Got the same grinding noise when trying to get out. Stopped trying that way once I heard the noise.
Haven't had any issues since. I think it was the left wheel engagement in the diff slipping. I'm also guessing that doing this often enough would damage the diff.

· Administrator
27,739 Posts
If you are getting the griding noise in the front diff. And it's not a axle. The visco is worn and it will progressively get worse till it grinds every time you Throttle hard. But that could also mean you got 2000 miles or 50 miles before it stops engaging completely.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you are getting the griding noise in the front diff. And it's not a axle. The visco is worn and it will progressively get worse till it grinds every time you Throttle hard. But that could also mean you got 2000 miles or 50 miles before it stops engaging completely.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
Is the visco hard to replace? Never dug that deep into one before.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts