Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys looking for more help with a 2012 mander limited. Makes an awful noise in 4wd. I got a couple suggestions that it could be a ring and pinion or a gear box bearing or maybe a prop shaft out of phase so far. Here is a clip of the noise. Note: rear diff clicking at beginning as well but this other awful noise is only in 4wd. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nah not yet. Took her to the dealer for a quick inspection and after 2 of their techs rode it around the parking lot they still couldn't tell what it was. I asked what they could do to diagnose and he suggested pulling rear prop shaft and driving it around to narrow down the noise. There was a brand new white commander 1000 sitting there that needed a gearbox at 2800 cad plus day and a half labour. Also showed an atv mechanic but he seems to think the sound is coming from the gearbox as well. Can the gearbox be split Inside the machine to replace bearings if needed?

·
Super Moderator
23,496 Posts
Left side cover can be removed but engine has to be moved forward for cover to clear the rear mount on gearbox .

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok that's fair. I've been looking at old posts on how to remove it. If it is not rebuildable is their any other gearboxes that would fit and work ie outlanders mavericks ect thanks

·
Registered
12,671 Posts
Some of the newer quads from BRP have the gen 2 box but the older outlander have gen one box .
The gen 2 is bigger in size also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok. On can am parts house it lists 4 different gearbox numbers for my machine. How do I tell which one I have and do these numbers from say an outlander have to match? What year roughly did the lander start using gen 2 boxes? Thanks

·
Registered
12,671 Posts
Compare the part numbers with a gearbox for a mander .
Once you find what model of quad has the same box as the mander or OG mav you be set . I’m sure the 1000 outlander and the XMR both use the Gen 2 box . I’m sure there are more . You just need to compare part number meets for replacement parts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts