Can-Am Commander Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 2016 I bought came with a 40" (measures to be 41.5") Nightrider light bar mounted inside the cab.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

I want to mount it outside so I can put a flip up windshield on, does anyone make brackets that will fit with the Can-am roof that don't require the roof to be hacked up to fit like in this pic?
Thx

Product Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Bumper Vehicle door

·
Administrator
26,912 Posts
Sounds like you may need to cut the roof or find someone that can make you a set that drop down then back up after it clears the roof. Should be a hard fix. But they will probably need the machine to measure everything out.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
26,912 Posts
Or bolt it directly to the roof. I actually had mine bolted threw the windshield at bottom of windshield so there's no glare off the windshield. Does no good to have all that light. Then you can't see padt the glare .

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Or bolt it directly to the roof. I actually had mine bolted threw the windshield at bottom of windshield so there's no glare off the windshield. Does no good to have all that light. Then you can't see padt the glare .

I definitely don't need the 40" light bar that came with it but it would be nice to have something higher than the headlights when I'm plowing. |
I could get by with a couple little pods mounted on the front of the cage but I can't find any mounts for that either so figured I could just move this thing. Don't really wanna bolt it through the roof.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I definitely don't need the 40" light bar that came with it but it would be nice to have something higher than the headlights when I'm plowing. |
I could get by with a couple little pods mounted on the front of the cage but I can't find any mounts for that either so figured I could just move this thing. Don't really wanna bolt it through the roof.
I made the pod mounts for mine. They're in this link: Pod light preferences

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We always just make the mounts . But I no longer have access to a commander so I'm not much help.

Got rid of your Commander? What do you have now?

I made the pod mounts for mine. They're in this link: Pod light preferences
Thanks.
You'd think someone would sell mounts like that.
One thing I never thought about till reading that thread is mounting the lights up high would be bad in the fog or mist.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Got rid of your Commander? What do you have now?

Thanks.
You'd think someone would sell mounts like that.
One thing I never thought about till reading that thread is mounting the lights up high would be bad in the fog or mist.
Someone did, maybe still does. I'm thinking it was utvinc or something like that. They were like $30- $40 and the shipping was high. I considered them but they weren't exactly how I wanted them so i made some like I wanted. I probably have $10-$15 in mine. If you can't find them searching on here, I'll look around later and post back (I'm cooking at the moment).

And yeah, a top mounted light sux if there's any fog/mist. I only use mine when it's clear. The pods are great however.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes. It was/is utvinc. Here's a pic of a commander with them and he mentions where he got them: post up pics of your commander as it sits!

And here's utvinc's thread about them: UTVinc.com A-Piller Light Mounts Coming Soon

Unfortunately the link in the thread to them is not working so I am not sure if they still have them. I would call if they're not on their webpage in case they still have some laying around.
Wow, looks like the Utvinc brackets would be easy to make. Looks like it just bolts between the cage and the body:

Hood Automotive parking light Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Yours have one hole for the bolts that hold it on and one slot, is that so you can adjust the angle?
Do you have a closer pic of the mounted bracket?
Instead of two bolt holes, I made a bolt hole and a slot because I didn't want to have to remove both cage bolts per side to mount them. So I just removed the top one and and loosened the bottom one. Then I could slide it into place and get the top bolt started with ease. You see, the cage bolts don't go into rigid threaded holes. There's kind of a cast floating dual nut that you have to line up to get the two bolts in, if both are removed. The cage will also spread a little and you have to force it back together By making the slot, I didn't have to fiddle with that. That's the reason it has a slot instead of a second bolt hole, just ease of install.

I've got spare one of those double nuts in my box-o-commander stuff. Having it made it easier to mark where to drill the bolt holes (the second of which I then opened into a slot with an angle grinder).

The other little notch was just to clear a bit of plastic.

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Bumper

Font Parallel

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks, good info for another winter project.
Removed the light bar today, had to so I could open the Can-am2 piece windshield I installed.

Were "NightRider" light bars something you got from Can-am when you bought a new Commander? This think had a "wet sounds" soundbar in it too, think they were $700 or something, saw it in a Commander brochure. Took that off too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts